Newbie mistake help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
i normally make my muscadine wine using natural yeasts in the grapes. I had always made it with fresh grapes off the vines. I had a good bit leftover from last year so i froze them. I recently decides to start a few more batches using my same natural yeast recipe. Got to thinking about it and realized when i froze the grapes it probably killed any yeast in them. However i already have them crushed and have added sugar to them and have them in the large 5 gall water jugs i use. I started one batch 2 days ago and the other batch last night. I really dont want to scrap the grapes i have ised. Is there any way i could order the ingredients (yeasts, etc) off the interent have them shipped to me priority, and get them in these batches??? Need help asap.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think freezing always kills wild yeast. You could order some yeast if you got on it and did it right now. I would suggest montrachet yeast - it's my favorite for muscadine. I think your ok for right now. I have had batches take days to start and everything was ok in the end with wild yeast. And I have had some sit for a week and then I added my own yeast. All turned out ok.

Thank you for the prompt response. I have some montrachet on order as we speak. I keep a balloon over the jugs to monitor whats going on...as i left for work this morning i checked it and it was at about a 45 degree angle. Not quite straight up. I would rather add the yeast and know i am good...for peace of mind...i mainly wasnt sure if the wine would be ok in the days it took the yeast to get here

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think freezing always kills wild yeast. You could order some yeast if you got on it and did it right now. I would suggest montrachet yeast - it's my favorite for muscadine. I think your ok for right now. I have had batches take days to start and everything was ok in the end with wild yeast. And I have had some sit for a week and then I added my own yeast. All turned out ok.

Im reading alot of stuff now that says the same thing...freezing dies not kill wild yeast

My experience is that it does not kill the wild yeast. However, I have had muscadines frozen that took much longer to start fermenting. And one batch that I added yeast to just to get it going because it took so long.

It looks like the yeast is working. Lots of bubbles and gas being emitted. If i add some montrachet red star yeast will it do anything to the wild yeast? I just want to make sure i get this right while i can.

It will change the end flavor. If you are already using the wild yeast and its working then you can let it go and it should be fine. Since you started with the wild yeast and did not use campden tablets to kill wild yeast and control the fermentation then I would not add the Montrachet at this point. When making a more controlled fermentation you would use campden to kill wild yeast, then wait 24 hrs and add your montrachet. I would just let the wild yeast do its thing at this point since you say it's already bubbling away.

Back