Adding any flavour to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazychris66

Reaction score
Hey there guys.
I'm new to this and I was wondering if anyone can help me out. Ok so in from New Zealand (think this is a international forum) and I have been given 3 apple cider brews to make. I did one and left it to ferment for 10-14 days then bottled it for secondary. Cracked open a bottle last night (good fizz) but there isn't very much apple taste. I did add a 15ml apple flavour to it to increase the flavour but I can't really taste the apple. I did open it about a week early. (4th week out of 5weeks). The extra apple flavour is the same stuff you use for spirits. I added it to the full brew (23L) mixed it gently mixed it then bottled it. Should I have left it longer like a day or what.
I have two more of the same brand to try but I don't want them to fail too. I would like another go at the apple flavour and one maybe a berry flavour. Help please

I backsweeten my cider with juice ( apple, pomegranate, blueberry), bottle then pasteurize. I don't have experience with kits like yours though.

Ok how do you do your cider. Do you have one I could give ago please.

Most of us get additional apple flavor by backsweetening with apple juice concentrate, but like pappers said, you'd then have to pasteurize (there's a sticky thread in this forum about it), or just store it cold before drinking. I've never seen any apple flavoring but I'm curious what it is. Can you post a link or the brand name?

What yeast did you use and have you considered keying it age awhile you will be amazed at how the apple comes back...but there right back sweeten with apple concentrate will definitely help for a young cider

Ok I'm still new with all the brew terms. But back sweetening. How is this done? Like I have a brew of 23 L how much would I need and when do I add it. Eg when bottling or before? I only ferment for 10-14 days then bottle it. If I back sweeten how long do I need to leave for till I bottle

jackfrost said:
What yeast did you use and have you considered keying it age awhile you will be amazed at how the apple comes back...but there right back sweeten with apple concentrate will definitely help for a young cider

Jackfrost il get back to you with the yeast as it was a kit I used. It came with everything to make it but it just tasted abit weird.

crazychris66 said:
Jackfrost il get back to you with the yeast as it was a kit I used. It came with everything to make it but it just tasted abit weird.

This is the stuff I used http://www.westbrew.com.au/showProduct/Beer+Packs/Cider/70001
I've been looking over this app (HB TALK) and there was a guy that just added apple and berry juice and pear juice to it and fermented that. He didn't say how it went but I'm keen to know if anyone has tried this. How did or would it turn out.

Back