Me & Sam at GABF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
The GABF was fantastic this year. The craft brew industry is really growing and there were some unbelievable beers showcased. Here is a picture of me With Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head. What a cool guy and a great brewery. Jamil Zainasheff was hanging out near his booth so I stopped to say hi. One of the things I love about the craft beer scene is the people. Very humble, willing to share what they know even if they have "arrived".

GABF 2012 002.jpg

GABF 2012 006.jpg

Was at gabf as well. Tried all of Heretics brews, and was impressed with all of them. His rye beer won gold and it was my least favorite. So I'm standing in front of Heretic's table sipping on a sample and I look to my right and Jamil is standing next to me. He was talking with someone else, so I didn't want to intrude. So I just congratulated him on the gold and gave him a handshake, and he was really nice considering I was a complete stranger. Damnit, should have gotten a picture! This will now be my "brush with fame" beer story that I tell any homebrewer I meet. Stupid, but I'm giddy just thinking about it.

Reminds me of the time the wife & I were drinking beer at the cheers bar set in the Hollywood museum. The one Bridges boy from Rocket Man came in & sat next to us. I wanted a pic,but he set it up with me behind the bar making him a drink. Just got the back of his head. Musta thought I'd sell it on fleabay or something. I stayed cool on the outside the whole time,but was freaking on the inside. I'd watched him on TV since we were both kids. That's my story to tell.

looks like you're going in for a kiss in the second picture. let me guess, you guys had been drinking ?!...:fro:

looks like you're going in for a kiss in the second picture. let me guess, you guys had been drinking ?!...:fro:
LOL. I guess it could be interpreted like that. This was about half way through the session so by then I wasn't feeling any pain. Both he and Sam were very gracious. My buddies and I had a great time and can't wait until next year. Cheers!

Was at gabf as well. Tried all of Heretics brews, and was impressed with all of them. His rye beer won gold and it was my least favorite. So I'm standing in front of Heretic's table sipping on a sample and I look to my right and Jamil is standing next to me. He was talking with someone else, so I didn't want to intrude. So I just congratulated him on the gold and gave him a handshake, and he was really nice considering I was a complete stranger. Damnit, should have gotten a picture! This will now be my "brush with fame" beer story that I tell any homebrewer I meet. Stupid, but I'm giddy just thinking about it.
Nothing wrong with living vicariously through someone else and there is always next year to get that shot!:mug:

Reminds me of the time the wife & I were drinking beer at the cheers bar set in the Hollywood museum. The one Bridges boy from Rocket Man came in & sat next to us. I wanted a pic,but he set it up with me behind the bar making him a drink. Just got the back of his head. Musta thought I'd sell it on fleabay or something. I stayed cool on the outside the whole time,but was freaking on the inside. I'd watched him on TV since we were both kids. That's my story to tell.
Great story! Cheers! :mug:

That was my thought too! (Sorry)

The other thing I noticed is that the second photo is a little blurry. I think it's because you were drinking! :D
Again, I'm happy to report that it was just two guys sharing a brewing moment at GABF. It was a lot of fun! :rockin:

What does Sam's sign say?

I haven't been to GABF in a few years, but the year I went, Garrett Oliver was at the Brooklyn booth. I was quite drunk and had no idea who he was, but he was very nice about listening to my drunken ramblings about the beer they brew for the Yale Club. I suspect they get used to that by the end of the first night.

What does Sam's sign say?

I haven't been to GABF in a few years, but the year I went, Garrett Oliver was at the Brooklyn booth. I was quite drunk and had no idea who he was, but he was very nice about listening to my drunken ramblings about the beer they brew for the Yale Club. I suspect they get used to that by the end of the first night.

Well, I wasn't toasted (yet) but was feeling no pain. They were both great. I walked up and said "Sam"! like he was my long lost friend. He just smiled and spent a couple minutes with me. Same with Jamil, he was so gracious and non-pompous! I love the brewing community! Oh, Sam had lost most of his voice, so his sign was letting people know he would be hard to hear, if he could speak at all which he could but just barely. Cheers! :mug:

Back