First Attempt - Irish Red - Recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainhard

Reaction score
So, after a few attempts at an ESB that have pretty much failed(didn't like my hop combos and lack of specialty grain) I have decided that I want to brew an IRISH RED ALE.

I am hoping this recipe will have a nice red colour, with a sweet taste, and a nice roasty/VERY slight hint of coffee flavor in the finish (from the roasted barley). And yes, I know the yeast is not English, but I like the idea of it finishing clean and letting the malt and roast flavors shine through.

Anyone care to critique, and let me know if i am on the right track? Only ever really brewed IPA's, which I feel I have down pat now. Time to switch it up.

Appreciate anyones feedback.

IRISH RED
malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
94% 9 13 Marris Otter (Crisp) 38 4 ~
3% 0 5 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 34 40 ~
1% 0 2 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 33 120 ~
1% 0 2 Roasted Barley - 550L 34 550 ~
0% 0 ½ Chocolate Malt (US) 28 350 ~
10 6½
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Original Gravity
1.051 / 12.6° Plato
(1.045 to 1.053)
Final Gravity
1.014 / 3.6° Plato
(1.012 to 1.015)
Color
14° SRM / 28° EBC
(Copper to Red/Lt. Brown)
Mash Efficiency
70%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.5 Challenger pellet 7.5
boil 30 mins 0.5 US Golding leaf 4.5
boil 15 mins 0.25 Challenger pellet 7.5
boil 15 mins 0.25 US Golding pellet 4.5
Boil: 8.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
27.0 IBU / 4 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation
Alcohol
4.9% ABV / 4% ABW
Calories
169 per 12 oz.

BUMP

Anyone out there care to chime in with any advice or input? Planning to brew this tomorrow.

Thanks

BUMP

Anyone out there care to chime in with any advice or input? Planning to brew this tomorrow.

Thanks

How did this turn out?

I brewed an Irish Red but used Rahr 2-row instead of the Maris Otter, 1lb Munich and 3oz each of Crystal 40L and 120L. This was my first all-grain and somehow mis-measured my wort volume. OG was only 1.040 and FG finished at 1.005 using WLP002 yeast. It was very thin and not enough malt flavor.

I'm thinking Maris Otter would be better next time around, plus recalibrate my measuring stick.

Yeah 1005 seems almost impossible if using wlp002, must have been the hydrometer. But that recipe looks like it will make for a good Irish Red Ale. In regards to your attempts at an ESB I usually go with Kent Goldings when doing any British ales, they can be used to great results for both bittering additions and flavor/aroma additions. As for specialty grains, keep it simple and try ~5% Crystal 15 and ~2.5% Crystal 120; most importantly though, use an English yeast strain (either WLP002, Wyeast 1968, or Safale S-04) and ferment at 68 F and yo should come out with a great ESB

Just pulled a sample yesterday.

Checked the hydro reading and it was at 1.014, which is 2 points higher than anticipated. Hoping it'll still drop to 1.012 since I am going to let it sit for another 1.5 weeks.

Colour came out a tad on the brownish side, with a reddish colour when held up to the light.

As for the taste, still has that green early fermented taste, but could notice the roast character and slight coffee aroma.

Really looking forward to the final product once aged and kegged. Will update soon

Back