No more SWMBO...got birthday cash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
So no more SWMBO....so that means more time on my hands, which in turn means more brewing! (This is the only part I'm excited about) I figure I can brew a lot more....my stash is wearing thin, and I'd like a decent amount, like Evan!'s stash for the holidays.

I'm going to the Home Depot to build my PM MT....and if the two batches I do this weekend go well, I'll transfer those parts to a bigger cooler for AG.

I need to build a MT and wort chiller, and go get some grain....oh and some propane!

So I need a simple PM recipe from everyone, I have one from the LHBS....but I want to get one that will be easy and get me ready for AG.....and I'll be using Wyeast, all I have access to locally.

Thanks,

~G

I'm not sure if you being SWMBO-less is a good thing or a bad thing (my divorce was most certainly a good thing), but at least you have a lot more time to brew!

Sorry to hear it, but glad that you're already talking about brewing more. Brewing is chicken soup for pretty much any ailment.

What kind of recipes you lookin for? I can amend pretty much any one of my AG recipes to be PM. Wanna brew Rochefort 10?

Sorry for her loss :D, but i am sure that if you brew enough everthing will work out for you.

Cheers

Is this rebound brewing ?

I separated from my wife of 13 years this spring. Sometimes it is best to get out of a bad relationship. PM me if you need someone to talk to. I've learned a ton about relationships and such.

rebound brewing! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is funny ish!

I've decided to screw PM's....I'm going straight to AG, I found 10 gallon orange igloos at HD today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, BBMD 2007 will be grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!!

98EXL said:
rebound brewing! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is funny ish!

I've decided to screw PM's....I'm going straight to AG, I found 10 gallon orange igloos at HD today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, BBMD 2007 will be grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!!

Good choice man! If you understand the concepts enough to do PM you might as well upgrade and rock out the full AG.

Let us know how it goes!

Jekster said:
Good choice man! If you understand the concepts enough to do PM you might as well upgrade and rock out the full AG.

Let us know how it goes!

I think I do.....so the real question is....I need an EASY AG recipe to do, like tonight

Brewpastor said:
All-Grain is the life. The world has become a fuller and brighter place with another convert. Welcome to the darkside.

So I signed up early march...first brew was April 1st.....I knew before April 1st it was only a matter of time before I was doing AG...I just wanted a solid foundation first...and to make sure this was something I wanted to continue to do forever....and my friends ALSO agree :D

EDIT: I live for the darkside, and I want to be an EAC like in other hobbys of my life Double Grin :D :D

Brewpastor said:
I posted this recipe yesterday. Pretty straight forward...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=408542#post408542

So lets see how well A) I can read, and B) Comprehend what I need to do here::ban: :mug:

I get the shopping list: 8.25 of grain, split between 1# Biscuit Malt, 7# Pale Malt(2-row), and 1/4# Crystal 75L......

Hops, yeah, duh, ok, but the hairy part....what to do with my almost newly constructed MLT.....

how much water of what temp to mash with? 2.5 gallons at 160dF something for how long? This is where I can't read recipes for crap

So if you're using a converted 10 gal cooler, this is what I'd do.

You have 8.25 lbs grain (don't forget to get it milled!) that is roughly around room temperature, 70 degrees. (EDIT: BP's posted recipe only calls for 6.75 lbs of grain after reading thoroughly...where'd you get 8.5 from? Either way, with the calc I provide, it'll be a cinch changing it up, you can do that for practice! ;)

BP says to mash at 154 degrees F at a ratio of 1.10 qts of water per pound of grain. Therefore, 8.25 lbs * 1.1 qts = 9.075 qts or roughly 2.27 gallons (4 quarts in a gallon).

I use this calculator for my strike temps. If your grain is 70 degrees F, you're mashing at 154 degrees F at 1.10 qts per pound, your strike temp will be 172 degrees. The grist is going to act as a buffer and lower the temp of the water immediately when added. This is why you SHOULD NOT strike AT strike temp, i.e. add 154 degree water to mash at 154.

Pre-heating your mash-tun is important, you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Boil a couple of gallons of water, dump in your MLT, swirl around, wait 15 minutes, and throw it out.

2) Bring your 2.27 gallons of water up to around 180, dump it in your MLT , and allow the temp to drop to 172, then add the grist. This is what I do with good results.

Mash for an hour, stirring once at 30 minutes.

You then want to perform a mash-out at 168 degrees
Using the Rest Calculator from the link above, you will add 3.4 quarts of BOILING water to the mash. Stir, and rest for 10 minutes.

Now, you want to lauter. This is getting the sweet wort out of the tun. Open your valve and drain the first 3/4 gallon or into a pitcher or something. You want to add this back to the MLT because it won't have passed through the grain filter bed as well as the rest of the wort. This is called the vorlauf. After this, drain the rest of the wort into your boil kettle.

The Sparge:

Sparge amount is usually 1.5 times the Mash amount. So 9.075 * 1.5 = ~13.6 quarts or 3.4 gallons. You can either sparge once or twice, there are varying opinions. If you sparge twice, simply divide 3.4 by 2 = 1.7. Heat your 3.4 gallons of water to 170 and add to the mash. Drain into the brew kettle that contains the mash drainage.

When you've collected everything, it's time to take a hydro reading for your notes.

Boil, hop, chill, aerate (more than for an extract batch!!!!!!), and pitch yeast as normal.

HTH

Brewpastor said:
All-Grain is the life. The world has become a fuller and brighter place with another convert. Welcome to the darkside.

Naah, all-grain is the lightside. You can't make very pale beer with extracts!

I'm currently converting all my gear over to AG Also, and this thread has me wanting to brew my first AG earlier then I planned. I was going to brew my first AG Batch on Veterans day weekend, but the weekend of the 27th is starting to look pretty goooooda...:D

Let us know how your first AG went.

Damn, brewing the first night you build your mash tun. That's hella shweet.

Call me if you need me to help out. Hopefully you remember what we did last time around!

PseudoChef said:
So if you're using a converted 10 gal cooler, this is what I'd do.

You have 8.25 lbs grain (don't forget to get it milled!) that is roughly around room temperature, 70 degrees. (EDIT: BP's posted recipe only calls for 6.75 lbs of grain after reading thoroughly...where'd you get 8.5 from? Either way, with the calc I provide, it'll be a cinch changing it up, you can do that for practice! ;)

BP says to mash at 154 degrees F at a ratio of 1.10 qts of water per pound of grain. Therefore, 8.25 lbs * 1.1 qts = 9.075 qts or roughly 2.27 gallons (4 quarts in a gallon).

I use this calculator for my strike temps. If your grain is 70 degrees F, you're mashing at 154 degrees F at 1.10 qts per pound, your strike temp will be 172 degrees. The grist is going to act as a buffer and lower the temp of the water immediately when added. This is why you SHOULD NOT strike AT strike temp, i.e. add 154 degree water to mash at 154.

Pre-heating your mash-tun is important, you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Boil a couple of gallons of water, dump in your MLT, swirl around, wait 15 minutes, and throw it out.

2) Bring your 2.27 gallons of water up to around 180, dump it in your MLT , and allow the temp to drop to 172, then add the grist. This is what I do with good results.

Mash for an hour, stirring once at 30 minutes.

You then want to perform a mash-out at 168 degrees
Using the Rest Calculator from the link above, you will add 3.4 quarts of BOILING water to the mash. Stir, and rest for 10 minutes.

Now, you want to lauter. This is getting the sweet wort out of the tun. Open your valve and drain the first 3/4 gallon or into a pitcher or something. You want to add this back to the MLT because it won't have passed through the grain filter bed as well as the rest of the wort. This is called the vorlauf. After this, drain the rest of the wort into your boil kettle.

The Sparge:

Sparge amount is usually 1.5 times the Mash amount. So 9.075 * 1.5 = ~13.6 quarts or 3.4 gallons. You can either sparge once or twice, there are varying opinions. If you sparge twice, simply divide 3.4 by 2 = 1.7. Heat your 3.4 gallons of water to 170 and add to the mash. Drain into the brew kettle that contains the mash drainage.

When you've collected everything, it's time to take a hydro reading for your notes.

Boil, hop, chill, aerate (more than for an extract batch!!!!!!), and pitch yeast as normal.

HTH

Ok, most of that makes sense....however, the only problem I see as of now is the 30 quart boil kettle...........

jezter6 said:
Damn, brewing the first night you build your mash tun. That's hella shweet.

Call me if you need me to help out. Hopefully you remember what we did last time around!

no brewing tonight....just got the non-leaking MLT built....now I have concerns about the size of my kettle, and then I have to get cracking on a IC

I've done up to 10.5 lbs of grain with runoffs/sparge water in my 30 qt with no problems.

If your total water volume is 9.075+3.4+13.6 = 26.075/4 = 6.5 gallons. Now you need to realize that the grain is going to soak up a good portion of that, arouns 12-15%.

0.135(avg) * 6.5 = 0.8775 gallons. 6.5 - 0.8775 = 5.6 gallons to boil. Shouldn't be a problem in a 7.5 gallon capacity as long as you're watching for boilovers!

wait, I'm retarded...for whatever reason I've been thinking my 30q pot was only 6 gallons..... me = idiot

heh, not 6 gallons, but 7.5 which is right about or maybe just a little bigger than what you need for room on a typical 5g batch.

I'm still on the lookout for a keggle for you.

that's cool...I have my minions out keep thier eyes peeled for empty kegs that they can have....I did tell them the importance of everything, not to just go out and jack stuff from people. We'll see how it goes

Hey 98, went through the whole SWMBO-ectomy myself last year. Sucked bad, but at least I got back into brewing, and of course met Red. ;)

Jester369 said:
Hey 98, went through the whole SWMBO-ectomy myself last year. Sucked bad, but at least I got back into brewing, and of course met Red. ;)

I've pieced that together.....I'm pulling for the same sorta thing :D :D

I can't get enough of the :D grinning smilies today....I'm so excited to use my electric start turkey fryer, 10 gallon MLT I built last night, the sexy stirplate will be done being unghetto-fied tonight......I'm just gleeming with joy, but SWMBO-less

and somehow I've managed to talk to her everyday since....this is in week 3...I don't get it...hopefully AG brewing can bring her back...hehe

[hungover_ramble]she makes no sense to me whatsoever![/hungover_ramble]

So I left work and ran some errands...things I picked up:

propane, never bought that before, that was a first
parts to build a hop strainer bag....I decided to be a cheap ass and buy 3 bolts instead of 4....I think that will be just fine

After work I'm headed straight for the LHBS and buying grain...today will be a great day! While I'm mashing, I'm going o build my hop strainer, and while I'm boiling, I'm going to bottle my Steam beer....all while enjoying HB's

So should this week end up pretty nicely...loosing my AG virginity? (I tend to think so)

it's going to be from a shady 2.0MP camera on my phone, but it will work...unless my 'used to brew in college' buddy of mine comes over with the DSLR......oh yeah

Back