low pressure regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightbrew

Reaction score
Just want to make sure on something. I will be firing two lwo pressure blichmann burners by the way of a gas beam. Will the regulator that comes w/the blichmanns work for both at the same time. I feel it should but just trying to solve any problems before the become one. thanks

The Blichmann burners come set up for high pressure, and the regulators are 0-10psi. You'd need to replace the burner orifices with low pressure versions, but I suspect the regulators wouldn't work very well with an 11" WC gas source...

Cheers!

My mistake I thought they were low pressure, why would I need to replace the orifice if thats what they come with? Also I guess these regulators would work with my honeywell 8200 solenoids?

My mistake I thought they were low pressure, why would I need to replace the orifice if thats what they come with? Also I guess these regulators would work with my honeywell 8200 solenoids?

Well, you did start the thread off talking about low pressure, so I assumed you were looking for a low pressure solution, which would require changing the orifices.

I'm not positive but don't the Honeywell VR82XX solenoids only work with low pressure gas? If that's the case, then you would definitely have to change the orifices, and you'd need to put a low pressure regulator upstream of the solenoids. I'm not sure the Blichmann provided 0-10 psi adjustable regulator would be a good fit for that application.

Otoh, if you went with a high-pressure solenoid you'd be pretty well set...

Cheers!

Clear up a couple of things for me. First what qualifies as low pressure? Second, I have already ordered or have all these parts, cant I drill out the orifice w/a specific sized drill bit? Also I assume that the blichmann burners will run just fine off the low pressure if I change them over? Also lets assume I do drill out/change out the orfices will my regulator 0-10psi work fine supplying my gas beam or am I missing something? Thanks for all the help,trying to get this finished up soon.

low pressure is rated as 11" wc (water column) its about .5 psi. I believe you will want to drill the orifice with a 3/32 bit to open them up. You must run low pressure with the honeywell valves. Look for a good low pressure regulator to feed from you tank to the gas rail. Your honeywells will come off the gas rail and then you will want a needle valve between them and the orifice to your burner. Lots of ways to get from the gas valve to the burner, easiest and cheapest is probably 3/8 soft copper with flare fittings.

The Marshall 290 series is what's most often recommended here. I have the Marshall 299 and it works very well. Then you just need a HIGH PRESSURE hose from the tank to the regulator.
For the 'beam' between the regulator and the valves, it's pretty typical to use 1/2" black iron. It's cheap, and most valves have 1/2" openings. It's also strong enough to be able to mount the whole thing to your stand.
I do like using 3/8" copper and flare fittings from the valve to the burner. In my opinion, it looks way nicer than the yellow drier hoses you see all over the place. It's cheap, too.

Back