Solution for installing compression fitting to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I purchased two compression fittings 3/8"x1/2 NPT to install a new SS HERMS coil. I thought I could install these just using an 1/2 nut but it appears I need a washer for the inside of keg.

Does anyone has a preferred method for installing these fittings to a keg?

What are you going to attach to the outside to the 1/2 NPT side?

If you had the o-rings you could possibly thread the locknut on with the groove facing toward the keg wall and then put the o-ring on and put it through the hole.

Attach your coupler, 90 or valve to the outside and it should seal if you use lots of teflon tape.

Your plan to attach it straight through the wall and then use a locknut will not leave much thread to attach anything.

It seems I will need a washer on the inside of the keg and I will have to use a couple on the outside as simply using a locknut will not leave room for my quick-disconnect fitting.

I was playing with attaching one through the wall of my test keg and it worked like I described but only left about 2 threads to screw down on due to the o-ring.

You might need to use a flat gasket with the washer to get a seal.

I soldered male hex 1/2" npt to my kettles.

Yes I was thinking about that but unfortunately I drilled a 7/8" hole by mistake and it's probably too loose to solder now.

Is your QD fitting male or female?

If it were mine, I'd silver solder a tight fitting washer to the compression fitting, then a silicone washer/oring, keg wall, then your QD fitting. If it doesn't tighten, shim with another washer or two on the outside.

My problem is that a 3/4" ID is too small and a 7/8" ID is too big. I can't find a 13/16" ID SS washer on Mcmaster. Maybe I could file or drill out a 3/4" washer?

Drilling a 3/4" ID washer out is pretty tough. Holding it securely while you drill it is a problem.

Teflon tape on the threads should seal it fine to the locknut if you choose to solder or braze the nut to the keg.

I can get a 3/4" washer to thread on half way and then it gets to tight to move by hand so I'm thinking I can either turn it with pliers and it get it all way on or use a file and just open it up a touch

Don't try to force it to thread as you will eat up the male threads and jam it on after a couple turns.

If you have a vise you can grip the edge of the washer and use a file on it to open it up enough like you said. A drill with a grinding stone or burr bit would work too but it will eat up the stone fairly quick.

Assuming you have a step bit that you drilled the 7/8ths holes in the keg with, you can chamfer the washer hole on both sides until it threads all the way down the fitting without force.

Don't try to force it to thread as you will eat up the male threads and jam it on after a couple turns.

If you have a vise you can grip the edge of the washer and use a file on it to open it up enough like you said. A drill with a grinding stone or burr bit would work too but it will eat up the stone fairly quick.

What size washer do you supply with your weldless sightglass kit?

Back