Protein rest for modified/unmodified grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a german pils planned. The recipe is pulled from The Joy of Homebrewing. It calls for a 30 min period at 130-135 degrees. I remember reading somewhere that modified grains shouldn't be put through this, and i think he is referring to unmodified malt (mine say well modified) in his recipe. Should I avoid this and just go with 150-155 for the majority of the mash?
What does the protein rest do to modified malt? Thanks

the protein rest breaks down proteins. You can skip this and do just a single infusion mash in the 150-155 range.

I just made my first AG Pils using a single decoction to break down the proteins and it tastes great so far (still in primary but just about reaedy to transfer). I mashed in 11 lbs of grain with just about 12 qts of water at 160 and stabilized at 140. I let it rest for 15 minutes and took 6 quarts and transferred it back to my brew pot that still had 3 quarts of 150F water in it. I brought the temp to 162 while stirring and let it sit for 10 minutes, brought it to a boil for 10 minutes, and added it back to my original mash to raise the temp to 156F. It got a little hot when adding the decoction back to the main mash, but I had ice water on hand just in case. After it reached 156, I let it all mash for 75 minutes. This method made my pils super malty, but I had 4 oz of hops going into it so the hops are really accented. It's GREAT.

Back