immersion wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
first off i partially blame u all for this. i am fully addicted to brewing and am spending a fortune, which is bad for me because i am a poor college student(go seminoles). i just bought a new kettle and burner so i thought since i am now doing full boils i am going to need a better method to cool than an ice bath. i want to make a wort chiller and immersion seems easier. do i use copper tubing? how much? also i thought about making something where it is basically a siphon into the fermentor with a coil in a ice bath in the middle of it. would that work? thanks for feeding my addiction!

found this today since I'm thinking of turning my CFC into and immersion chiller, should give ya all the info ya need . . .
http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/equip/chiller.html

BYW the $25 cost would be about $30 for me if I bought everything they listed

hose clamps - $1 each
25feet of 3/8 tubing - $20
25foot 1/2 garden hose - $7
tax 5.5% or something . . . they chage it too much around here to keep up with it

As long as you can find your copper that cheap, go for it. I think 25' of 3/8 is closer to $30 still and it is the bare minimum size/length to cool full boils in a reasonable time. You might want to use 3/8" ID vinyl hose because it will fit the copper really well.

Back