Graff - how long should I leave fruit in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychedelic_brew

Reaction score
So I just bottled 2 gallons of this stuff, backsweetened it a little. Boy was it tart. I picked up some 1 gallon carboys to use for experimenting, so I have a gallon 3 gallons sitting on either 1 lb strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

I don't know anything about secondary fermentation or fruit additions so any advice would be helpful.

let it sit on the fruit for a month then rack off. i hope you added some pectic enzyme or its never going to clear.

let it sit on the fruit for a month then rack off. i hope you added some pectic enzyme or its never going to clear.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking a month but I wasn't sure. I don't care about clearing at this stage of the game. Besides, I doubt it will clear anyway because I heated some of the apple juice to dissolve some of the ingredients.

I looked at my blueberry cider this morning and the blueberries looks as if they're turning stringy and fuzzy. Really strange and unlike any type of mold I've seen before.. anyone know what that might be?

I have high hopes for these brews...the fermentation room smells GREAT :D

I looked at my blueberry cider this morning and the blueberries looks as if they're turning stringy and fuzzy. Really strange and unlike any type of mold I've seen before.. anyone know what that might be?

it is mold. yeast is a type of fungus. its normal i had the same thing with a blueberry melomel i did. they will probably float to the top and form a thick mat on the surface of the cider. just leave it be it will fall back in on its own.

so i take it there was no campden used since wild yeast was present. i was wondering if that will sour the taste of the graff?

Back