Kegs for Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
Hey all, Been a while.

Can somebody post the link to the stainless fermentation caps for sanke kegs?

Somebody here makes them and I am interested in seeing the site.

Thanks

My concern with using a Sanke keg to ferment is the inability to get inside to properly clean it.
I know you can soak them in PBW and what not, but how do you know you really got all the krausen and gunk out?

I bought one of these from the guy and had a few conversations via emails with him. I had the same concerns. He explaines that he adds water, puts the keg on his burner and heats it up for a while. He then dumps it and sanitizes it with sanitizing solution. He claims he has never had a problem....I haven't used it yet, but in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, Thanks guys.

Is anybody using these? I have two 1/4 barrel tall sanke kegs I want to use as fermentors.

How do you like them?

I have on in use right now with plans to implement more. Derrin makes a really fine product. I'll be doing my first racking today- push the beer with 3 psi CO2 through the filter and into the kegs. A totally closed system.:mug:

As far as cleaning, a PBW soak in hot water will do it. To check cleaning, i have a goose-neck flashlight and inspection mirror. To really blast the gunk, i made a simple pressure washer- for those interested the pdf can be found here Click on 'pressure washer' and it'll download the pdf.

I have on in use right now with plans to implement more. Derrin makes a really fine product. I'll be doing my first racking today- push the beer with 3 psi CO2 through the filter and into the kegs. A totally closed system.:mug:

As far as cleaning, a PBW soak in hot water will do it. To check cleaning, i have a goose-neck flashlight and inspection mirror. To really blast the gunk, i made a simple pressure washer- for those interested the pdf can be found here Click on 'pressure washer' and it'll download the pdf.

Anybody with the name "Farting Dog" must be telling the truth.

I am gonna give them a try.

My concern with using a Sanke keg to ferment is the inability to get inside to properly clean it.
I know you can soak them in PBW and what not, but how do you know you really got all the krausen and gunk out?

I am not as concerned with that as I am the air lock and keeping my fermenting beer happy.

They are stainless steel, PBW and a good brush, you can see in them a little bit.

If noting else fill them with water, throw them on a burner and boil the crap out of them.

You pump a pressurized jet of hot PBW in there for about a half an hour. That's how the breweries do it. If it didn't work, they wouldn't use them.

Anybody with the name "Farting Dog" must be telling the truth.

I ain't gonna lie to you, man!:mug:

Got stuck sorting competition entries today- looks like the transfer got pushed back til tomorrow. hopefully I remember to post back on the results- tho I expect it to be seamless.

I bought two of these from Derrin. Being out of town a lot over the summer combined with a busted propane regulator means I wasn't able to test them out right away. Anyway, I'm fermenting my first batch in a keg with one of these right now. In fact, now that you've reminded me, I need to pull a sample tonight. :D

Anyway, I'd like to make the move to doing all my fermentations in kegs. I'm looking forward to being able to ditch my auto siphon in favor of low pressure transfers to the kegs. Lifting carboys up to the top of the workbench is enough to tweak my back. Plus, I want to start harvesting yeast again, and the adjustable racking arm on the fittings should make that easy.

Latest posts

Back