Minifridge that fits carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
I'm looking for a minifridge that can be used as a fermentation chamber as space is an issue. I am the only beer drinker in the house so I think one bucket or carboy at a time will be enough as I can lager in the keezer if need be.

Any ideas? I really don't feel like adding a collar to an existing minifridge or trying to convince SWMBO I need another chest freezer (choosing my battles).

Instead of putting a collar on the mini fridge i just carved out the insulation on the door. The fridge doesn't need to get real cold so you can afford to lose a little insulation.

Thanks for the input. I've got no further on the fridge search, mostly because I feel like a dead end and hence this thread. I do like the idea if just stripping the inside of the door, what model makes this easy to do with little other modification?

Quadrupled said:
For what it's worth, I've used a Son of Fermentation chiller until now, but am looking at both a Frigidaire (model LFPH44M4LM http://www.frigidaire.com/products/Kitchen/Refrigerators/FFPH44M4LM.aspx) and a Danby (model DAR044A2SLDD http://www.danby.com/en/US/our_products/refrigeration/dar044a2sldd). The freezer is removable in the Frigidaire and not present in the Danby. Any thoughts on what you're looking at?

How did you end up with these fridges?! I am super curious. Do they fit carboy/buckets with little modification?

The reason for first selecting these were that these were converted into kegerators by others and provided sufficient space for corny kegs. When looking at them in person, I was able to confirm that the freezer appears to be removable in the Frigidaire, providing a clearing from the bottom shelf of about 20 inches. The Danby doesn't have a freezer and has a similar clearance. Also, there are floor models near me where I was able to take measurements to knock out any unsuitable models. Lastly it seems that if I'd be willing to cut the door milk shelf, that there will be an abundance of space.

I still need to check with a fermentation bucket and carboy to confirm space, but that's where I am at in my perusing.

ETA: Just to be clear, I believe that even without cutting into the door that if I remove the freezer from the Frigidaire that a bucket will fit. Again, I need to bring the bucket and carboy in to confirm.

Two words----wine fridge.Remove shelves add temp controller done. Vissani is model i used based on article on this site but unfortunately it was being dis continued when i got mine.

Two words----wine fridge.Remove shelves add temp controller done. Vissani is model i used based on article on this site but unfortunately it was being dis continued when i got mine.

I thought about the wine fridge because of the open space, but am considering lagering in this as well and, as I'm seeing it, the lower end temperatures for the wine fridge are often in the mid 40s F. Also, it seems that a lot of models have blue lights permanently on, though this can probably be removed.

WIth stc-1000 controlling the temp it will go to whatever temp you set it. Plus you can lager it in the keg you will later serve it from and kepe that in your kegerator/keezer. I unplugged my light.

WIth stc-1000 controlling the temp it will go to whatever temp you set it. Plus you can lager it in the keg you will later serve it from and kepe that in your kegerator/keezer. I unplugged my light.

This isn't necessarily true. Refrigerators have an internal thermostat that has a preset minimum temp. Just hooking up a temp controller doesn't override that. The compressor will still turn off based on the internal thermostat setting. Even with a temp controller you are only going to get down to about 36F in most refrigerators, and even higher in wine fridges. If you want it to go lower, you have to either bypass the thermostat or adjust it to a lower temp. There are threads on here that discuss both of these options. All depends on what you are trying to use the refrigerator for.

The reason for first selecting these were that these were converted into kegerators by others and provided sufficient space for corny kegs. When looking at them in person, I was able to confirm that the freezer appears to be removable in the Frigidaire, providing a clearing from the bottom shelf of about 20 inches. The Danby doesn't have a freezer and has a similar clearance. Also, there are floor models near me where I was able to take measurements to knock out any unsuitable models. Lastly it seems that if I'd be willing to cut the door milk shelf, that there will be an abundance of space.

I still need to check with a fermentation bucket and carboy to confirm space, but that's where I am at in my perusing.

ETA: Just to be clear, I believe that even without cutting into the door that if I remove the freezer from the Frigidaire that a bucket will fit. Again, I need to bring the bucket and carboy in to confirm.

I'm excited to hear your findings! I do 5 gallon batches, this may be perfect.

It's pretty easy to fold down the cold element in most minifridges to provide sufficient space for a carboy or kegs. It's also easy to remove the thermostat on them, to be replaced by an STC-1000 - on my GE, the thermostat unscrewed, and the electrical connections were on spade terminals. Just jump the in and out together, and you don't have an internal thermostat in the way any more.

e.g. as described here, as well as in countless threads on here.

For a carboy, you'd want to avoid trimming the supports for the lowest shelf, so you can stand the carboy on the shelf and compressor hump.

nosnhojm20 said:
Really? Awesome. Any mods needed aside from just removing the drawer?

This fridge looks perfect for what I need, single Carboy fermentation chamber. Were there any mods, cutting door panel, ect?

This fridge looks perfect for what I need, single Carboy fermentation chamber. Were there any mods, cutting door panel, ect?

No mods needed. I cut a 2x4 piece that's wedged between the bottom of the fridge and the center of the lower shelf to help support the weight of the fermenter.

redshift76 said:
No mods needed. I cut a 2x4 piece that's wedged between the bottom of the fridge and the center of the lower shelf to help support the weight of the fermenter.

Thanks for the reply. Another question. Could you tell me about the fitting you have in the lid? Looks sturdy & clean, I would like to use a blow-off tube vs an airlock and your setup looks nice. Thanks.

I can't locate the model, but there is a Sanyo that works with a 6.5 gallon carboy also. You need to remove the door shelves and reglue the seal back on.

ForumRunner_20131112_193951.png

The cooling unit is bendable to give some extra height. And the hump over the compressor is big enough to hold two 1 gallon jugs with the 6.5 gal carboy in there.

Thanks for all the replies. I will do my Xmas shopping and if cash is left over I'll post pics of the "build"/results.

I bought the Home Depot fridge. The compressor was broken. Reordered and the design changed. Can't just slide out the freezer part anymore! I'm not about to be bending shyt to fit a fermenter, I guess the last option is a chest freezer conversion. Maybe will motivate me to do 10 gallon batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's a whole thread on modifying this fridge in the kegging forum, quite a few folks bent theirs without a problem. I was able to fit a 6gal better bottle without bending it. A corny also fits as does a slim 1/4 barrel sanke (barely).

Huh. I can't imagine how a 6 gallon better bottle would have fit. A plastic bucket fermenter barely fit, and that was with a 90 degree fitting that enabled a blow off tube

I totally recognize a bending option but I'm not gonna mess with the possibility of throwing $130 out the window.

Huh. I can't imagine how a 6 gallon better bottle would have fit. A plastic bucket fermenter barely fit, and that was with a 90 degree fitting that enabled a blow off tube

Is this what the inside of your fridge looks like?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393209286.690331.jpg

That's a slim 1/4 barrel that I'm gonna use as a fermenter.

It is.

I use plastic fermenters. I didn't do the measurements with modifying the door, but is doubt it'd fit based on that picture either. My goal of any fermentation chamber, or kegerator, is as little modification as possible. I recognize this is a personal preference but I'd like to be able to sell it if need be. In the back of my head this leaves more possibility for expansion of the brewery but may not be other peoples opinion.

In that case the chest freezer is definitely the way to go if you have the space, should have plenty of room even if you forgo the collar. I don't think there are many reasonable priced mini-fridges that will fit a carboy unmodified. There's always Craigslist for something cheap too.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I acquired an Absocold minifridge for free. Removing about 14 screws around the outside took the plastic door part off and then I just rescrewed the weather stripping back on, even on low setting the water is at 44 degrees. And that is the highest I can get the temp inside to go as is. So I will have to go with a controller for temps or try and insulate the freezer shelf as thats what cools the fridge.

From the bump in the back to the door is about 15 inches, so I can fit my two different size bottling/fermentation buckets in there or my glass carboy. One of my pails is wide and short the other is narrower and taller, they will all fit with a three piece airlock on top though..its close with the carboy. I think the measurement from the bottom to the freezer thing is 32 or 33 inches but I can check when I get home, looking at it, I'm pretty sure I can take it off and mount it on the back wall if I need to as its U shaped not oval with a top to it.

photo.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. It will be a battle with SWMBO on my end for a chest freezer, I'll keep this in mind. Do you happen to have a serial number?

I will look when I get home and the exact dimenesions and Serial/model number. I was curious how many Cu Ft it was when I got it but I remember it not saying.

Latest posts

Back