Imperial Stout Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have a bottle left. Had one last night - more than a year later. Still tasty! No oxidation notes to speak of, and I didn't use barrier caps.

Still have a bottle left. Had one last night - more than a year later. Still tasty! No oxidation notes to speak of, and I didn't use barrier caps.

I brewed this last April, bottled it in November, and have 6 waxed topped bombers sitting in my beer cellar...can't WAIT to crack one or two open this November!

How doyou get the pacman yeast? i can never find it

I bought a few packs a couple years ago and have kept washing a few generations of it, but its been released rather infrequently as a Private Collection strain of late. You can culture it from a Rogue bottle, though.

I bought a few packs a couple years ago and have kept washing a few generations of it, but its been released rather infrequently as a Private Collection strain of late. You can culture it from a Rogue bottle, though.

Yeah still alot to learn just getting started, not there yet. But now that i know that's possible, i will have to learn

I will be brewing this in the next few days. A local brewery gave me a growler of
3711 slurry so I was wondering if any one has an opinion about using this yeast with this RIS. I will be doing the bourbon oakchips and maybe some anise seed in the secondary

I will be brewing this in the next few days. A local brewery gave me a growler of
3711 slurry so I was wondering if any one has an opinion about using this yeast with this RIS. I will be doing the bourbon oakchips and maybe some anise seed in the secondary

yak, did you end up brewing a stout with the 3711 saison yeast?

yak, did you end up brewing a stout with the 3711 saison yeast?

I did brew this about 2 weeks ago. 1.093 OG. Very vigorous fermentation in about 3 hrs with the 3711.gonna give it one more week to clean up and then secondary with bourbon/oak chips. I found anise extract at the grocery and will add some of that too. Its very strong so I am experimenting with some stout to see how much to use without overpowering the brew.So far 1 drop in a 16 oz is just a little too much

I have a question, with the mash at 149 your trying to pull as much fermentable sugars, yet in the recipe you added a bunch of unfermentables. I'm just curious as to why you did that. I'm gonna brew this here pretty soon and just want some feedback, thanks.

I have a question, with the mash at 149 your trying to pull as much fermentable sugars, yet in the recipe you added a bunch of unfermentables. I'm just curious as to why you did that. I'm gonna brew this here pretty soon and just want some feedback, thanks.

I wanted it to have a thick, viscous mouthfeel. I think of Old Rasputin, for example, as having a delightfully oily texture and was hoping to replicate that type of chewiness without a syrupy sweetness.

I can attest that the mouthfeel was a victory. Similar to Old Rasputin in that aspect. Interesting how much it's changed even after a couple weeks in the bottle - an excellent recipe.

Brewed this two weeks ago and took a gravity reading...started with 1.080 and now at 1.022...this is gonna be a favorite. Plan on secondary with vanilla beans, then let it sit for the next four months. Sample was very hoppy and I could taste the alcohol.

Brewed this two weeks ago and took a gravity reading...started with 1.080 and now at 1.022...this is gonna be a favorite. Plan on secondary with vanilla beans, then let it sit for the next four months. Sample was very hoppy and I could taste the alcohol.

My batch was a little boozy initially, but has mellowed over time. Sounds delicious with the vanilla beans, I hope it turns out great!

I see the original batch was at 1.030 after 1 month. Was this the final numbers? I brewed this 5 weeks ago and I'm at 1.030 which I thought was too high still, till I came back to this thread. Anyway just curious if after the 4 months of aging if it crept down on you. I did just throw a pack of S05 into the secondary yesterday hoping to get it going. I used S04 for the primary fermentation.

I see the original batch was at 1.030 after 1 month. Was this the final numbers? I brewed this 5 weeks ago and I'm at 1.030 which I thought was too high still, till I came back to this thread. Anyway just curious if after the 4 months of aging if it crept down on you. I did just throw a pack of S05 into the secondary yesterday hoping to get it going. I used S04 for the primary fermentation.

I'm out of town and don't have my brew journal, but I believe it did finish around that mark even after aging for a few months. I like some residual malty sweetness and body to keep it from being too boozy and 'hot', but that is personal preference and a little lower FG should be fine as well. Hope it turns out well either way!

mikeysab said:
Anybody think dehusked carafa II would be a suitable sub for black patent?

No, quite the opposite. Black Patent is used for intense roastiness, acridness. Carafa III is basically black patent but with the husk removed so there is less acridness.. Use dark chocolate, Black malt, chocolate, even RB is better

Brewed this over the weekend... Partial Mash using BIAB... and I messed it up...somehow had written down 4 oz nugget... thought i'd add some personalization to it so I also added 1 oz of wilamette and fuggle for 30 min... IBU is around 100+ now... ugh... When I tasted my sample today I thought...man this is knock your socks off bitter... No wonder.

Brewed this over the weekend... Partial Mash using BIAB... and I messed it up...somehow had written down 4 oz nugget... thought i'd add some personalization to it so I also added 1 oz of wilamette and fuggle for 30 min... IBU is around 100+ now... ugh... When I tasted my sample today I thought...man this is knock your socks off bitter... No wonder.

Bitterness fades slowly over time, but I suppose if you are patient enough you could cellar it and see how it ages. I've brewed this recipe (and tweaks of it) a couple more times since the first batch, but still have most of that original batch stashed away to age.

That's what I was planning. Figured by Xmas I'd pull some out. Was going to primary till FG is done and them secondary to batch condition for another 2-3 months them bottle in September. Have 2-3 months for bottle condition.

how did you go about splitting this into two fermenters? Just pitch yeast stir and then transfer half to second vessel?

how did you go about splitting this into two fermenters? Just pitch yeast stir and then transfer half to second vessel?

The batch was split for extra head space so I wouldn't lose a gallon+ to blowoff (there are some uber-explosive RIS blowoff pics/vids floating around the site!).

After cooling, I just transferred the wort in equal parts to two separate fermenters and then pitched about 1L of yeast slurry to each fermenter. After 4-5 weeks, I racked the contents of both fermenters together into a 5 gallon carboy, along with bourbon soaked oak cubes, for bulk aging.

What were you OG and FG? I got 1.114-5 to 1.033-4. No blow off at all. Sitting at 2 weeks in primary. Not sure if I should rack to secondary since I'm not adding any bourbon chips etc.

What were you OG and FG? I got 1.114-5 to 1.033-4. No blow off at all. Sitting at 2 weeks in primary. Not sure if I should rack to secondary since I'm not adding any bourbon chips etc.

The OG was 1.120 and the FG was 1.030 at the time of transfer to secondary/aging vessel.

Decided just to bottle age this. So it sat in the primary for 5 weeks. Now it's bottled. Hope to test one in 2-3 weeks just to confirm it is carbing.

Decided just to bottle age this. So it sat in the primary for 5 weeks. Now it's bottled. Hope to test one in 2-3 weeks just to confirm it is carbing.

Hope it turns out well. I just racked my most recent version onto a few ounces of oak cubes soaked in Bulleit Rye, going to let it bulk age for a few months.

I've been wanting to do a RIS for a long while. I have an imperial blonde sitting on my pacman yeast cake right now. I think I might make this to rack this onto it once I bottle.

I've been wanting to do a RIS for a long while. I have an imperial blonde sitting on my pacman yeast cake right now. I think I might make this to rack this onto it once I bottle.

Second and third generation Pacman has performed beautifully when I've repitched.

I'm looking to brew a big RIS next and had a question for you guys:
Did you have to add additional yeast at bottling to account for the long duration in primaries and (esp) with the long bulk aging/oaking?

Recipe looks great btw.

I did not. I did a different version of this recipe and actually got Gold in stout category last weekend.

At time of contest it was 12 weeks since boil. About 9-10 weeks in bottle. Going to get better as it ages.
I was getting carbonation after 7-10 days of bottling. I haven't opened a bottle for sentiment so who knows what it's like now.

Just bottled my batch...after 4 months of bulk aging. Sample was amazing. Can't wait til this fall...should be really good by then. Brewed it on 3/11/13.

I gave a bottle to my bro 3 weeks ago and told him to open one then 10-11 weeks old and wait for a few months to open he other... Today he emails and is like. Dude. Soooo. Can I go ahead and open that other???? Guess he likes it.

mountainman13 said:
Looking for a long term beer, and I think I've found it.

Yes! Just came across this one tonight. I've recently gotten into barrel aged stouts and this is right up my alley. Looking to make this in December and have it ready for next fall.

Well I got my score sheets back on my version of this beer from a few weeks ago. I got a 45 and 44 for a composite 44.5. Not bad for my first competition! I sent it in to another one today. A bit larger this time so see how it does then.

Latest posts

Back