Keg now, or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbdmc

Reaction score
Just got a GE 7 cu ft freezer chest. I have beer thats ready to keg, but I dont have a temp controller for the freezer.

Can I just go ahead and turn the temp control dial to the warmest setting, then put my keg in to force carb? Or do I need to wait until I have a better temp control?

Dang, that stc thing looks kind of complicated... whats the cheapest plug and play temp controller for a freezer chest? thx

You can carb it at room temperature. Psi will be around 30 dep on your actual temp bit you can do it

Just got a GE 7 cu ft freezer chest. I have beer thats ready to keg, but I dont have a temp controller for the freezer.

Can I just go ahead and turn the temp control dial to the warmest setting, then put my keg in to force carb? Or do I need to wait until I have a better temp control?

Wait. You really need it to be accurate for serving temp/pressure purposes.

I have 3. :mug:

I'm jealous. I only have two STC-1000's, although a third one might be in the works if I sell one of my motorcycles and create enough room in my garage for a lagering chamber. :rockin:

The STC-1000 isn't nearly as complicated to rig up as you may think. If you can join two wires together with a wiring nut and can tell the difference between black, white and green wires, the rest of what you need can be found here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

If you have any friends who have done any household wiring, have them come and help you wire it up. Give them some brew. They'll be happy.

Having precise temperature control will really change your brewing experience for the better and allow you to significantly improve the quality of your brew. Imagine being able to set the ideal temp for the yeast you are using, fermenting lagers, doing step-up ferments and cold crashing all with the touch of a few buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back