Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikeguns

Reaction score
Aside from me of course..

I figured it might be good to know a few brewers on the island so I started this thread. I'm in western suffolk, brew IPAs almost exclusively and have only been brewing about a year, but have about a 15 batches under my belt. Recently went all grain and have been having a blast. I usually hit Karps although my one time at Arbor was great and the woman there was very helpful.

Karps it's great! I'm in oceanside. Just got into this brewing game a week ago. Brewed up 2 batches already

Nice man! I'm only about a year ahead in the addiction.

I'm in Port Jefferson. We have Brewtopia just down the street and they are developing into a very nice little LHBS + very interesting selection of craft beer. Next door is Port Jeff Brewery so quite convenient to get a growler fill when you stock up on other supplies needed for that big brew day.

I'm about 9 months into the obsession and also went AG recently. I've got 10 gallons of imperial IPA and 5 gallons of black rye IPA in fermentors now, getting ready to do a dark wheat beer this weekend.

Grew up on Long Island (Sayville). Up in CT now. My family still lives down there, and I come down frequently. That's awesome that they opened a LHBS in downtown Port Jeff. I'll have to stop by the next time I take the ferry across.

eric.. i just did a black rye IPA (Firestone Walker Wookey Jack) clone myself.. I was so impressed by the hydrometer sample that I decided to go back to back and brew another 5 gallons that is fermenting away. What was the IIPA you did? Clone or an original?

I've never actually been to PJ brewery although I know someone who works there... been meaning to check it out.

Mine is also a Wookey clone. I tweaked the recipe some, think added about 1.5 lbs sugar aiming to dry it a bit more. Mine is coming up on 3 weeks in primary now, will dry hop soon, get a gravity sample and taste at same time. Trying to be patient...

Port Jeff makes some excellent beers. My fav is Low Tide Black IPA. I'm trying to clone that one too!

I'm in Manhasset. I've been brewing for about 4 years now, with 1 year of all grain under my belt. I've been focused just on ales so far, but I'm hoping to brew a few lagers soon. Styles vary depending on the season. I currently have a dry irish stout that is sitting on beer gas and will be ready for St. Patrick's Day, NB's bourbon barrel porter (fermenting), and Pliny (next on deck).

same here sark... i only brew IPAs because, well.. i like to drink IPAs. I need to step outside of my bubble a bit and now that i have a new fridge and stc1000 controller, I'm going to try and rock out a lager.

Anyone recommend a good lager recipe?

LOL I did the same thing when I set up my temp controlled fridge. Maserati an Oktoberfest. Was good but that damn lager took over my fermentation space for a long time. Now I keep it at either 64 or 68 and brew ale. On I mean 18 or 20 cause it only does C...

LOL I did the same thing when I set up my temp controlled fridge. Maserati an Oktoberfest. Was good but that damn lager took over my fermentation space for a long time. Now I keep it at either 64 or 68 and brew ale. On I mean 18 or 20 cause it only does C...

hah! right? I'm suddenly sympathetic to the metric system..

Dry hopped my Wookey clone tonight. Grav sample was outstanding. Fermentation went very much as hoped for...took it from 1.081 to 1.014.

Can't wait to get this bottled!

I live in Brooklyn but I travel all over LI for work- today alone I was working in Rocky point, Southampton, west islip and Medford to give you an idea. I'm 6 months into the hobby, brewed up a blonde ale last week and just racked them onto 6 lbs of strawberries yesterday with hopes for warmer weather to enjoy it in when it's ready! Not looking forward to driving in the coming snow this weekend...

I live in Brooklyn but I travel all over LI for work- today alone I was working in Rocky point, Southampton, west islip and Medford to give you an idea. I'm 6 months into the hobby, brewed up a blonde ale last week and just racked them onto 6 lbs of strawberries yesterday with hopes for warmer weather to enjoy it in when it's ready! Not looking forward to driving in the coming snow this weekend...

That strawberry blonde sounds awesome. Be safe out there man, snow is snow, but it sounds like under the snow will be a sheet of ice from the rain all morning on friday.

Hey what's up guys?! I'm in Levittown. I've been homebrewing for 2 years, been doing all grain brewing for just a little over a year.

I'm brewing Pliny on Sunday, regardless of whether I'm snowed in or not. On the bright side, hopefully it means I'll chill to pitching temp in record time :mug:

hey toast! nice array of beers in the sig.

Sark, I'm guessing that a two foot snow pack will get the job done.

i've done a canadian ale and an american pale ale. both from kits, very good but i am realizing the limitations of these kits and extract brewing. i've been working on a recipe for a kölsch using beersmith and trolling the internet for a rough parts list. going with a partial mash technique for this one. the ingredients should be coming in the mail next week and i can start. any advice as someone progresses deeper into beer world?
:mug:

i've done a canadian ale and an american pale ale. both from kits, very good but i am realizing the limitations of these kits and extract brewing. i've been working on a recipe for a kölsch using beersmith and trolling the internet for a rough parts list. going with a partial mash technique for this one. the ingredients should be coming in the mail next week and i can start. any advice as someone progresses deeper into beer world?
:mug:

one thing i've learned is that gear is a very personal thing.. Im running a 10 gallon igloo and a keggle on a propane burner. My main issues is that i have a wife and kids that are a brew day distraction. I'm looking into ways to use electric heating to automate certain aspects of brewing.

With that being said, finding a decent mash tun and boil kettle is something you can use for years.. Quality valves, bulkheads etc are also good "investments"

hey toast! nice array of beers in the sig.

Sark, I'm guessing that a two foot snow pack will get the job done.
Thanks! That's not up to date though, I can't seem to update/save my new sig. By the way, I couldn't keep my plans today due to the snow, so I stayed home and now brewing a Saison! When all else fails, there's always beer! :mug:

I'm brewing an American Dark Wheat using some of that Briess Caracrystal Wheat right now. Later going to do a small batch of amber ale to test my wife's theory that I'm wasting my time filtering brew water. Going to try hot water right out of the tap. Doing a 4 gal batch cause all my 6.5 gal fermenting buckets are busy...

Sounds good! I brewed a "traditional" Saison. I did a little research on the style and found out that there really was no characteristics to this style other than they were thought to have been around 3 to 3.5% ABV, and refreshing, I guess by what ever means to make them refreshing, like the use of spices. I didn't use anything to spice it up, I'm gonna rely on the Belgian Saison yeast to do that for me...We'll see how this turns out. I only used a 7 lb grain bill for 5.5 gallons and have a pretty aggressive fermentation today. I woke up this morning and it was foaming out of the airlock so I had to attach a blow off tube. Surprising for a beer with a lower OG.

Hurricane Sandy put my brew cave underwater, I lost of brew and hardware . I have been brewing for about 6 years now. Just finished my 4 tap kegerator.
I was able to restore my rig with new hardware, once I do a couple of runs I am going to paint it. My 3 " Back Again" brews I got lined up are going to be a Dry Stout ( for St Patty's") , followed by a Ed Wort Haus bier and then a German Pils. I live in Seaford

pwm74 said:
Hurricane Sandy put my brew cave underwater, I lost of brew and hardware . I have been brewing for about 6 years now. Just finished my 4 tap kegerator.
I was able to restore my rig with new hardware, once I do a couple of runs I am going to paint it. My 3 " Back Again" brews I got lined up are going to be a Dry Stout ( for St Patty's") , followed by a Ed Wort Haus bier and then a German Pils. I live in Seaford

Dang, welcome back!

toast said:
Sounds good! I brewed a "traditional" Saison. I did a little research on the style and found out that there really was no characteristics to this style other than they were thought to have been around 3 to 3.5% ABV, and refreshing, I guess by what ever means to make them refreshing, like the use of spices. I didn't use anything to spice it up, I'm gonna rely on the Belgian Saison yeast to do that for me...We'll see how this turns out. I only used a 7 lb grain bill for 5.5 gallons and have a pretty aggressive fermentation today. I woke up this morning and it was foaming out of the airlock so I had to attach a blow off tube. Surprising for a beer with a lower OG.

What yeast strain and temperature?

Thank you , here are some current pics

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

Wow. Nice setups. Just brewed my second batch yesterday which was an Irish Red from NB for pattys day. Also put together my kegerator between shoveling trips. Be careful out there.

Are anyone of you guys in any local brew clubs
Nice to see saison being brewed, I happened to be reading
Farmhouse ales, nice read

sorry to hear about your rig.. but nice setup! Wish I had the space!

Cool... another homebrewer in Seaford. PWM74, where are you? I am between Merrick Rd & Sunrise Hwy and Washington & Jackson Avenues.

I was displaced by Sandy so I am living back with my folks and that has put my brewing on hold even though my father has a nice wine cellar that I could use. All of my equipment is in storage until I get the hell out of here. Fortunately, I am moving to Farmingdale on March 1.

I have gone to a few of the meetings for the Long Island Beer and Malt Enthusiasts club but haven't been to one in several months. Pretty cool group.

Their meetings are the first Wednesday of the month and they move around as far as where they meet, I've been to meetings in Patchogue and Massapequa.

Their website: beermalt.org doesn't seem to be up right now but that's where I usually find out where the next meeting is.

Well, I guess I'll add in my two cents. Been brewing again for about two and a half years. Started out with Mr. Beer and am doing partial mash kits from AHS. I've only done ales but a lot of them. Stouts, choc stouts, porters, IPAs, APAs, brown ales, etc., about 260 gals so far. Slowed down due to Sandy/snow storm. I live in Miller Place. I'm a member of BEER, but because I work a rotating shift and have a side business, I usually don't have the time to attend meetings. Going to be heading to the spring beer fest at Nassau Col next month when my co-worker gets back from deployment. Went last year and had a great time. Also went to Martha Clara also very good. I can tell you more about the beers I had at the beginning than those at the end. We rented a van (and driver) to get us there and back.

petey_c said:
Well, I guess I'll add in my two cents. Been brewing again for about two and a half years. Started out with Mr. Beer and am doing partial mash kits from AHS. I've only done ales but a lot of them. Stouts, choc stouts, porters, IPAs, APAs, brown ales, etc., about 260 gals so far. Slowed down due to Sandy/snow storm. I live in Miller Place. I'm a member of BEER, but because I work a rotating shift and have a side business, I usually don't have the time to attend meetings. Going to be heading to the spring beer fest at Nassau Col next month when my co-worker gets back from deployment. Went last year and had a great time. Also went to Martha Clara also very good. I can tell you more about the beers I had at the beginning than those at the end. We rented a van (and driver) to get us there and back.

Hey almost neighbors!

Brewtopia (port Jefferson) starting up an informal, lets get together and taste some home brews, on first Tuesdays of the month. I missed the first one but am planning to make it next month. Also have a judged brewing contest in the works. Pretty low key but looks to be fun.

What yeast strain and temperature?
I used a dry Belgian Saison yeast (Lallemand Belle Saison). I've never used it before so I'm anxious to see how it comes out. I'm fermenting at 68-70. I was going to put the heating belt around the fermenter, but decided not to.

Will you let temp increase as it ferments or control temp? Sounds like you are planning to control.
No, I'm just gonna let it ride along with at the ambient temperature in my house, If it's something that comes out good and worth doing again, I'll ferment with the heater belt on and see if it gets funked a bit.

Back