Beer Bottles colors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsfire

Reaction score
I really want clear bottles to show off the color will this effect my beer or taste?

If you keep them stored completely shaded, they would be fine. But beers will start getting skunked extremely quickly with any UV. Dig through the Basic Brewing podcast archives. There was a radio episode a few years back on this. Someone actually measured the UV light penetration in different colored glass as well as tastings. On the following video episode, I recall James and Andy sitting in the direct sunlight, and in the short course of filming, they could detect their beer starting to turn.

I always liked to have 1 per batch in a clear bottle, but that was all.

There was a post on here not too long ago citing a study on this. Beer in a clear bottle will be noticeably skunked in as little as 5 minutes of UV light exposure. Just something to consider.

Is the fridge ok ( out of the sun light )? How quick does it take for the light to change the taste?

You should be fine .. unless you installed a UV light in your fridge.. but then how would we know it was off if the door is shut...

Brown is the conventional wisdom. I'd like blue though. Did they do blue?

Yes. Blue was worse than green, but better than clear.

Here's the description of the episode I was referring to: April 10, 2008 - The Science of Skunking; Chemistry professor Brad Sturgeon of Monmouth College explains the science behind beer skunking and what kind of glass is best to protect against it.

Here's the link to the pdf of Brad's results.

The amount of effort to constantly shield the beer from the sun until it's ready to drink, isn't worth the payoff of seeing the color. Just pour it in a glass.

Back