Anyone tapped their home's gasline?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
Well, not DIY, but I've been brewing with a turkey fryer and LP tank combo in the garage. I was thinking though, I have a gasline in my house, why not use that? Has anyone ever used their home's gasline to brew? Maybe put a connection in the garage? Seems like a wonderful idea to me.

I've never done it, but in California the natural gas flows in at around 7psi...might not give you the btu's you're looking for.

I stand corrected...once it passes through your meter it may be as low as .25 psi :)

You'll need to modify/replace your burner and regulator to be compatible with NG. If you're going to brew inside the house or garage you'll also need sufficient ventilation and CO detectors.

I plumbed a low pressure propane (we live in the woods not city) into my garage
years ago and love it. It's not rocket science. When brewing off of the house gas line, you do not need a regulator, it's already regulated. I use a furnace valve and PID to auto regulate mash temps when I continuously recirculate. At first I just used a needle valve on my banjo burner, which worked great. Depending on which type of propane you use (propane/natural gas); you will need to drill the appropriate size hole in your gas jet. Again, not rocket science. Just keep opening up the jet hole size until you have sufficient flame. I brew in my garage and just crack the door some when heating. I installed a gas valve next to the garage wall with an acme quick connector for the brew rig and smoker. I have a relative who is an insurance agent (ya), she stated that in the event of an issue; insurance companys would have a greater issue with a propane tank being used inside a dwelling versus a hard plumbed black pipe gas supply line. Do a little research and for a couple of hours time and a little money, you will not have to worry about propane again.

As for co2 detectors; I'm one of those guys who doesn't ware a helmet and drinks water from a garden hose. To each his own.

Like Gan said; to change over to NG you need to change the size of the little orifice in the burner. there are a lot of sites on the web where they walk you thorough it.

As a side note, I got a new turkey frier and was not real happy with the burner performance the first time that I used it so I decided that if I can build a car engine, doing a little tweak on an LP burner should be a piece of cake. I took the burner apart and found that the casting was a nasty mess of burrs and flash. Once I ground all of that off and opened up a couple passages, I put it back together and it was totally different; that thing will smelt iron now!

That's right, generally speaking. However, some things can be converted. Getting the orifice size is probably the easiest part. If it a high pressure propane burner you may not be able to get enough natural gas pressure to run it at full BTU if that were ever necessary.

Just kinda depends on what you have to work with.

Back