Must read beer literature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals just searching through the forums and I had this question I saw that no one had asked this..or at least not in these exact words. :mug:

Anyway I was wondering if I could be recommended some "Must Read" beer literature. Anything about the genre will be great. History, recipes, how to, anything!

I'm sure everyone has their own beer "bible" and I would like to read em all. (the good ones anyway) :D

So if you can share where I can find Some knowledge that can help make me a better brewer while I am unable to brew physically, (other than these forums which I check out often) I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

How to Brew, Brewing Classic Styles, Designing Great Beers, Yeast, Radical Brewing, Brew Like a Monk, Brewing Better Beer. That should get you started.

Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer is a good one in addition to Mongrel's list. It's not so much about brewing as it is about history, style, pairings, etc.

I still recommend "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" to my friends interested in getting started in homebrewing...

I still recommend "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" to my friends interested in getting started in homebrewing...

This is what I started on, and it did get me VERY EXCITED about homebrewing, but it also steered me into brewing some pretty terrible beer. (Pitched the yeast at 75-80? RDWHAHB!! Didn't make a starter? RDWHAHB!!) Once I started reading books like How to Brew, Designing Great Beers, Yeast, Brew Like a Monk, Wild Brews and many other technical books, my brewing improved vastly.

I'm not trying to knock on Charlie P., I just think that the RDWHAHB mantra in that book goes a touch too far.

Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer is a good one in addition to Mongrel's list. It's not so much about brewing as it is about history, style, pairings, etc.

I'm reading this right now. It's very accessible and contains a lot of useful info for a someone who's only been brewing (and thinking critically about beer) for a couple years.

The Kindle version is available for only $3

Last edited by a moderator:
Back