Advice And Suggestions Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbrown

Reaction score
I bought a Midwest recipe kit that's for a 5 gallon brew. I've got a 3 gallon BK. What should I do?

Assuming it's an extract kit:

Do a partial boil.

Boil as much as you can, about 2.5 gallons. Add all the ingredients (extract, steeping grains, hops) to that volume exactly per the instructions. After cooling and transferring to the fermenter, simply top off to 5 gallons before pitching the yeast. Easy. It's not ideal, but it works just fine. I've done several partial boil extract brews and they taste great.

evrose said:
Assuming it's an extract kit:

Do a partial boil.

Boil as much as you can, about 2.5 gallons. Add all the ingredients (extract, steeping grains, hops) to that volume exactly per the instructions. After cooling and transferring to the fermenter, simply top off to 5 gallons before pitching the yeast. Easy. It's not ideal, but it works just fine. I've done several partial boil extract brews and they taste great.

Sounds like my route! Thank you.

Mix the water and wort by shakeing or stirring before you take the OG reading. If it is not mixed good the reading will be lower than expected. This will also aerate the wort before you pitch the yeast. Have fun & welcome to HBT:)

Add all the ingredients (extract, steeping grains, hops) to that volume exactly per the instructions.

I would disagree with the instructions regarding adding extract.

I'd add half the extract per instructions and the other half at the end of the boil. This can improve flavor and color.

Yup. I use half a 3lb bag of plain DME in a 2.5-3 gallon boil for hop additions. Remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. Cover & steep 15 minutes to pasteurize.

So with a partial boil, after adding the wort to the primary, do I top off my 5 gallon bucket with hot or cold water?

You chill the wort in the BK in an ice bath till it gets down to 65-70 degrees. Then pour into fermenter & top off with cold water. Stir vigorously or cover a shake for a couple minutes to mix both & aerate. Take OG sample & pitch yeast.

I would disagree with the instructions regarding adding extract.

I'd add half the extract per instructions and the other half at the end of the boil. This can improve flavor and color.

True... I was trying to keep it simple, but that's a good suggestion.

Latest posts

Back