Building a mash tun with bazooka screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the7yearplan

Reaction score
I'm planning on building my first mash tun tomorrow for my first all grain brew on Sunday. I bought a bazooka screen for cheap at my LHBS awhile ago. I was planning on using the instructions for the rubbermaid 10gal cooler on the wiki:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun

I know I need adjust these instructions a bit to use the bazooka screen but I'm at a lost as to what parts I need to make it work. Does anyone have experience doing this and/or know what parts I will need?

I think the standard bazooka comes with a 1/2" threaded connector. Those plans have a 3/8" nipple. You would need a 1/2 to 3/8 threaded reducer and you could just screw them together.

This should be a pretty easy project as long as you have the parts. The threaded nipple goes through the cooler and you have washers/nuts on each side. Tighten them down. The valve just screws on (put some teflon tape on the threads to prevent leaks). The inside connections for the bazooka don't need to be water tight, so you can just hand turn that.

Back