Wyeast 1007 - 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goathouse

Reaction score
Been reading some posts on the boards referencing high krausen with Wyeast 1007. Should I rig up my fermenter with a decent size blow off tube? Any pics or tips here would be appreciated.

From reading the post I take it the small bubbler doesn't cut it with this yeast.

My experience is that 1007 will require a blowoff if not in the lower end of its temp range. I had a 3 gallon BB with probably only 10% headspace not need a blowoff at all, but I kept it at 52-55 F. When I had a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gal BB, and let the temps get up to 70, it absolutely erupted. I think that batch had blowoff for 2-3 days straight.

Thanks Hex. My basement is in the mid 50's so maybe it will be ok. But I think I better rig up blow off just in case.

Lately I've been rigging a blowoff just in case. Probably the easiest way to make a blowoff if you have a 3 pc airlock is to jam a pvc tube into the center pipe. I forget the tubing dimensions, but it is a tight fit.

Mid 50's will make a great beer with that yeast. Just be prepared to have to cold crash and/or have a long primary if you want clear beer. That yeast has a very low flocculation. Good luck!

Making Hefe for the first time so not too worried about it being clear. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it very much.

Back