Home Depot Homer bucket.. how many gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience using these. They are very cheap and basically I don't trust any measurements after I bought my brew pot and it is 5 gallons touching or above the top of the pot.

Are these buckets 5 gallons at the very top or are there a few inches of room so I can move it around without splashing brew everywhere?

I already know pros-cons for buckets and the orange in it and all that, that is not what I am concerned about.

Thanks again everyone been a huge help so far

Patton

less then 5 gallons unless your nearly spilling over the top... you need to get 6.5 gallon buckets or fish pales which are HDPE and are between 6.7-8 gallons so i would try those... i had a bad pot which arent 5 gallons... it was supopsed to be 5 gallons but it was about 3.5 gallons and still be able to boil

Cheers

I'm not looking to ferment in them just for bottling, but you say that even then they are still too close?

I went to walmart and didn't see any of those fish pales in the hunting and fishing section.. would you have any idea where else I might be able to find them?

At the Home Depot by me they have those orange Homer buckets, and in the paint section they have white translucent, approx. 6 gallon buckets for batch mixing paint. The have a five gallon mark about 4-5" below the top. Hope that helps

oh if you want to bottle you can... it will be to much for one bucket, but just rack half of your batch onto the priming sugar and then bottle as usal, when the bucket goes dry then rack the next part unto the the other half of the needed priming sugar and then keep bottleing... etc.... that what i do

Cheers

Measure. You can do that by weight (8.35 lbs/gallon) or volume (use a graduated pitcher or other known quantity).

I know I could measure them, but I haven't purchased any. I just wondered about anyone who has also used them and how they worked out. I really don't feel like returning a $3 item and looking cheap.
These buckets don't have any markings for the 5 gallons which is why I am wondering.

Can anyone else confirm that these buckets are 5 gallons at the brim??

Back