Installing a PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtime

Reaction score
I am revamping my control box on my brew stand. I am installing some Aurber PIDS that measure 45mm x 45mm for the cut out. What is the best way to draw the lines. Can I just trace around the outside of the front of the controller and cut in side the line. I don't want to screw this up since the encloser ran me $100

the face plate will cover i think 3mm on each side so as long as you don't mess up that badly you should be alright.

I used a measuring square and drew a box that measured 1 3/4" x 1 3/4". Then used my dremel to cut out the box right on the line. I had to use a metal file some to widen it to the perfect size but it worked great. The conversion is 1.77in for 45mm.

I suggest:
Take a piece of thick paper (Brown paper bag?) and make a cutout that just fits your PID. Once that is done, use that as the template to scribe the cut out needed in your control panel.

Just a suggestion...

EDIT: See smittygouv30's post. Right on the money.!

smittygouv30 said:
I used a measuring square and drew a box that measured 1 3/4" x 1 3/4". Then used my dremel to cut out the box right on the line. I had to use a metal file some to widen it to the perfect size but it worked great. The conversion is 1.77in for 45mm.

I did the same thing but killed my wife's Dremel in the process so had to finish with a file

Mine looks like the bride of Frankenstein. Next time I build a control panel I'll buy a bigger enclosure and will take the enclosure to a shop to have the holes punched or cut for me. Next time you say? Oh yes. There will be a next time. Bigger, badder, with flames shooting from the top like a Motley Crüe concert...and more blinking lights the the starship Enterprise. Why? Because I can. Except for the flames part. That might be a bad idea.

Ricechex75 said:
Mine looks like the bride of Frankenstein. Next time I build a control panel I'll buy a bigger enclosure and will take the enclosure to a shop to have the holes punched or cut for me. Next time you say? Oh yes. There will be a next time. Bigger, badder, with flames shooting from the top like a Motley Crüe concert...and more blinking lights the the starship Enterprise. Why? Because I can. Except for the flames part. That might be a bad idea.

I don't think the flames are a bad idea, who doesn't like flames? Well maybe Michael Jackson didn't care for flames a whole lot but doesn't everyone else? On my control panel I put on so many indicator lights I don't even use some of them. But, I'm sure damn glad I have them!

Look into sketch up by Google. Its a free 3D rendering tool but you can draw things in 2D as well. It can print to scale so you can draw out the whole design, adjust as much as you want, then simply print, tape, and start cutting! Controls take some getting used to but I think its much simpler and user friendly than a full blown CAD program. Good luck!

http://www.sketchup.com

Back