What is used for long primary ferments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are you using for long primary ferments?

• food grade plastic bucket

• Better bottle

• glass

• other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

uuurang

Reaction score
I've been using glass for fear of oxidizing da beer. Maybe that's not necessary. What say you?

Here's the genesis of this, THREAD
Long primary = 3-4 weeks

I voted "other" because you can use all three successfully. Glass is the most conservative option, but I doubt you'll notice much of a difference if you opt for a Better Bottle or standard "Ale Pail" style bucket.

I voted plastic even though I rarely go beyond three weeks in primary. That may change because of the linked thread. I'll still stick to the instructions for wine kits, however.

Yuri_Rage said:
I voted "other" because you can use all three successfully. Glass is the most conservative option, but I doubt you'll notice much of a difference if you opt for a Better Bottle or standard "Ale Pail" style bucket.
Agreed. If you are only talking 3 weeks of primary fermentation, I bet it doesn't matter much. I voted glass, but that is just a personal and somewhat arbitrary preference.

If you were talking long-term conditioning in the secondary, however, then I would lean a little stronger towards glass because it is a barrier to O2. Better bottles are pretty good too, and would be a close second. I would not recommend a bucket in this case because those lids are notorious for not sealing well and might seep in O2 over longer periods of time.

A class carboy would probably be better but I stick my plastic bucket in a MASSIVE kimchi bucket full of water which I assume keeps the oxygen out and definatley helps keep the temp constant.

I voted other because I use hollowed-out pumpkins.

No, sorry, wait, I mean, I voted glass, because that's all I use, period.

I use plastic for primary fermentation, but the longest I'll go is 3 weeks. After that, one of two things is happening: bottling or I'll be racking to a glass secondary (which happens to be what I voted for) for conditioning/clearing.

Longer term conditioning shouldn't be done on the trub anyhow. I've never experienced autolysis and I want to keep it that way.

I like using used trash bags. Added flavor. Glass is what I own, so that is what I use. I doubt you will notice a diff. on anything that is kept for under 6 months in any container. As for longer than that, normally you have it bottled by then or you forgot about it. If you forgot, then you deserve any off flavor you may encounter :p

I use cornies. Lighter and cheaper than glass, totally air-tight, can't spill, break or admit light. And those handles ...

[Actually, I use them for long secondary ferments. Buckets for primary , 3-4 weeks max.]

Evan! said:
I voted other because I use hollowed-out pumpkins.

No, sorry, wait, I mean, I voted glass, because that's all I use, period.

:D (snorting home brew out nose while reading!):D I saw that post earlier today! Bravo Zulu!

1560911221_d760c1be0e.jpg

I use 24qt bayou classic pots for fermenation. i drilled a hole in the lid and insert a stopper with a blow off tube
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015VL7IC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Easy to clean cuz it fits in my sink, easy to top crop, easy to check hydrometer readings, I can fit 2 in a mini fridge fermenter with a slight modification of the fridge, safe Also, it can be pressurized using a large oring.

Best of all worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back