Me and PBR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerod1

Reaction score
I went to eat lunch the other day day and while ordering I noticed they had PBR on tap. I order a big goblet of PBR and boy was it good! I love my homebrews and craft brews but I forgot that PBR can be really good too. I live in Texas where PBR has never been very popular. It is considered "cheap" beer. I guess cheap doesn't always equal bad. :mug:

Nothing wrong with a lot of those beers. I have an old Schlitz bar down the street that has survived as a small concert venue, and I gotta say, Schlitz on tap - pretty good.

Thursday night is bowling night...I'm in the PBR league :) we have a 32oz mug they fill for $2...!and they usually only charge us for half of them...

The photo hardly does it justice, but this is the gorgeous Pabst Theater.

Whoops - might help to attach the photo.

image-3597876921.jpg

If im buying cheap canned beer, its gonna be PBR. I used to drink budweoseer because it was about as good as it got for me as far as cheap beer was concerned, but I had a pbr and I haven't been buying bud for a long while

Aside when I was like 6 or 7 and would steal a sip when told to get a beer for my dad or his brothers I hadn't had PBR until tonight. Drank 3 at dinner tonight and I was quite happy with my choice.

At a local craft beer bar near me ( 500 or so different craft beers) they only have Miller lite and Yuengling Lager on the menu for the non-craft drinker. BUT.....They have a secret stash of PBR in cans that only the regulars know about. The look on some of the peoples faces when you walk around a place like that with a PBR pounder is priceless!:rockin:

PBR is fine for what it is, a cheap beer that you can drink all day in the summer. Rainier is superior in my opinion.

I feel the need to chime in and say that I don't think PBR and homebrew can even be compared. The fact that some people can appreciate PBR on occasion doesn't necessarily make it a quality beer. I understand why it can be drinkable at times, especially when its hot and you are out of other options. I am actually surprised that I am the first one chiming in against all this PBR praise. Im sorry to be a party pooper here, but I would pay the extra dollar or two for a less expensive micro-brew.

I was never a PBR fan. Ill drink it but if drinking cheap beer I'll order a Bud. Coors on occasion too but most of the time only Coors light is on tap. Gotta love dollar domestics at the ball park.

I truly love me some well crafted beers, but on my wages, I drink cheap day to day beer most times. Ad for me, that beer will always be Narragansett. It almost tastes like real beer. There is even the faintest taste of hops in there! :)

Sometimes you just want a pale American lager. PBR is a decent one. I try to keep something around of that style for folks who come by and are skeptical- they usually step up from PBR to our cream ale or ordinary bitter and don't turn back though.

Wish I could make some lagers here, though. Don't have room for a third beer fridge in 580sqft though, even though the wife would allow it.

I love me some PBR. The problem is that you can drink so many of them, it gets to be more expensive than drinking a craft beer or two.

PBR does not seem to taste the same here in Florida as it did in Ohio. I used to love PBR up in Ohio, in fact it was my "go to" beer. Down here, I really don't care for it. Miller High Life is now my "go to" commercial.

Currently have PBR, keystone light and homebrews in my beer fridge.

PBR is good stuff lots of non craft beer drinkers don't like it because.... Well it doesn't taste like water downed piss like most domestic beers. It actaully has beer flavor which to some is overwelming....:confused:

I went to eat lunch the other day day and while ordering I noticed they had PBR on tap. I order a big goblet of PBR and boy was it good! I love my homebrews and craft brews but I forgot that PBR can be really good too. I live in Texas where PBR has never been very popular. It is considered "cheap" beer. I guess cheap doesn't always equal bad. :mug:

No, it's pretty bad. You're just not used to how bad it is...

for me, that beer will always be Narragansett.

I was gonna post the same thing. If you're going for a cheap tallboy you really can't beat Narragansett. Less than $5 for a 6 pack of 16oz cans if you're in RI, it's hands down my favorite cheap beer. More flavorful than PBR or High Life.

I grew up on Blatz, Special Export and PBR, back when Blatz and SE were actual Heileman beers. PBR's just always been good ole PBR, and when they started coming back out with the tall boys in cases for $20 (you Hipsters can have your "pounder" lingo), it was like being reintroduced to an old friend. If they don't sell it at least in pints, it ain't beer. :D

I have PRB in my office fridge and my garage/shop fridge. My daily beer! :)

We have it on Tap up here too, and for 20 somethings, it's become their beer of choice for case parties.

Not a big PBR drinker, but I did happen to go on the brewery tour last weekend. Everyone always raves about the Lakefront brewery tour, but the Pabst tour is much more impressive.

Funny how lakefront is the tour for the masses, and Pabst is the tour that has amazing complexity and depth.

<tangent>At lakefront, they charge $4 for a beer in a small plastic cup brewed 100 ft away. WTF?</tangent>

PBR is THE go-to beer when I have to bring beer to a party for my own consumption. I refuse to pay more than $9/six pack for craft brew. I just do (personal decision). One of the benefits of homebrewing is the lower costs of my high quality beers.

Beer taste is subjective and I like PBR (and Bud Light Lime dammit - there I said it). :mug:

PBR is what I drink camping and on wheeling trips, it is also my "shop beer" for when I am wrenching or welding.

I have always had a soft spot for PBR and catch hell for it, but it is a consistent beer...new, old, hot or cold it is the same beer.

PBR is probably my favorite beer. I say this because I can ALWAYS drink pbr. Hot days, cold days, nights, mornings (music festivals). It even tastes good when its skunked. There were many times in my college haus when there were over 100 pbrs in the fridge -my band members all drink it too -when we weren't drinking my homebrew or one of the limited craft brews we had available in Decatur, IL. I just wish the PBR prices would stop climbing.... I suppose they don't control the inflation though. :drinking Emmas brown:

Hilarious to read this! Just went on a hunting trip with a buddy and he brought a 30 pack of good ole PBR...I joked that I hadn't had that since Kindergarten. I enjoyed it...but it's definitely not a frequent drinker for me. I'll save that experience for fishing and hunting trips.

PBR is a good fur getting slammed :) My little brother got a pabst tatoo on his calf that covers his whole damn calf! He was 18 but its permanent (obviously). I've "grown up" to Busch Light (lol)

Back