New here and to cider pretty much, here's my 2nd batch recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravos4evr

Reaction score
I made a 2 gallon batch with just 2 gallons of juice, white wine yeast and a pound of brown sugar, primary for 2 weeks then in the bottles for a month. It ended up like a decent (yet potent) appleyish white wine. Prolly shoulda let it sit in the bottles longer but.... I'm new! :)

This batch i followed the same basic plan but added 8 packets of splenda, a half teaspoon of cinnamon, a half teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, some dried cranberries and a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg. ( I may have jumped the gun on trying a spiced cider ...but what the helll.... :ban: )

My plan is to primary til clear then bottle age for 3 months. I'm hoping this will mellow out any messups I may have made.

here's a question tho. I was wondering if i try and carbonate it again like last time if it will end up messing the spice up? Or do you think that maybe cutting my priming sugar amount in half will help? Maybe make it a bit less sparkly and hold the spiced flavor up a little better?

The spices probably won't come through much - next time you might want to ferment the cider as normal, let it clear in primary, then put your spices in a muslin bag and let them sit in the cider for a while until you reach the amount of flavor that you want.

I can't see why carbing would do anything except make it taste better!

I don't have a home brew store nearby so I have limited resources for some of the fancier non fermenting sugars. Not to mention the health food joint just closed down here too. I guess I coulda driven 15 miles to get something else but I had splenda handy lol. I just decided to add it during primary as I thought of it during that time.... I will prime my bottles with a wee bit of brown sugar (prolly half of last time) hoping to cut the excess dryness down. I liked it dry! But I wanna try something different each batch until i find my happy zone for my personal taste!! Then it's gonna be 5 or 10 gallon batch time! (and prolly more annoying questions for y'all!)

Back