Sesame anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StJamesG8

Reaction score
Long time lurker here, so thanks for all of your indirect advice! So here's my first post. WOOHOO :ban:
I've been able to find almost nothing ANYWHERE on the "interwebs" about using sesame seed in brewing, but I think it would make an interesting addition to a beer that had some nutty tones to it.
Anyone have any experience or suggestions? I just brewed a mild ale this weekend, and was going to add some sesame, but chickened out at the last minute because it was a new recipe. I thought maybe I should see what it tastes like without the seeds first.

According to Wikipedia, 100g of sesame seeds contain 48g fat, which can, potentially, create problems for head retention. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, though, but you may want to limit yourself to a small batch.

I wondered about the oil/fat. Hmmmm. What do you think about throwing a little bit into a few of the bottles in a few different quantities? I was thinking this may closely approximate adding the seeds to the fermenter......

I'm thinking about this additive as well (in mead). Maybe roasted sesames? That would heighten the flavor while requiring less of the seed (and thus less fat).

I've been wanting to brew with sesame seeds for a long time now, why is this so taboo? Why such little responses? Are people really so crazy about head retention that they'll sacrifice a potentially awesome flavor?

I say go for it. I would toast them. Maybe brew your beer as normal, and when bottling add some to the last of beer in your bottling bucket?

I've been wanting to brew with sesame seeds for a long time now, why is this so taboo? Why such little responses? Are people really so crazy about head retention that they'll sacrifice a potentially awesome flavor?

Maybe everyone else has their intuition working for them on this one.

I love sesame flavor in food, but I just don't see it being a great thing in my beer. And Googling it doesn't yield much, either. 'Cept this. Not exactly a big hit...

Cheers!

I Google'd "Sesame Seed Beer" and found this forum as the top hit. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this idea. :)

I was thinking it would work well in a brown ale. Toasting the sesame seeds first, adding coriander with a base of Caramel and Amber malts. I'm still not sure about what hops would work well with that. Any suggestions?

they are very oily!!! and powerfull!!! i could see it working in a brown ail but as for how much?? thats the question of the day. i know when cooking with sesame oil a little goes a LOONG way. that stuff is potent!!!

they are very oily!!! and powerfull!!! i could see it working in a brown ail but as for how much?? thats the question of the day. i know when cooking with sesame oil a little goes a LOONG way. that stuff is potent!!!

True, but I think that's where the toasting may help a lot -- it would help bring out the flavor without using as much (perhaps only a few grams per batch?). Might offer a nice subtle flavor in the background.

Who knows... I may even try to germinate and malt the seeds. :)

ya i think they would jsut float at the top of your mash if you didn't do something, toasting would prolly crack em open enough to extract the flavor and get rid of some of the oil!! i'd say go for it!! and post results

Sesame Beer!

I'm gonna make a Halvah Beer, because, why not?

Still in formulation stage, bought a Halvah to eat and mull over the flavors. I'm thinking either brown or porter. Probably roast the seeds a little and mash 'em up. I think perhaps in a hop bag in primary or something to make removal easier.

There is the fat problem..but I've made peanut butter beer before successfully, so I'll work with it. Often times if you're careful you can remove most of the beer out from under the oil, that tends to float. I'd probably remove the bag first, give it another day or so and then go right to secondary. And then after a couple of days into bottles. The second transfer gives me another shot at getting beer out from under the oils and fat.

That's so funny. I just looked at this thread the other day. I love sesame seeds. I was eating a bagel the other day and thought, "man this would be a nice toasty flavor to add to a brown ale."

Back