CO2 Bubbles in Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1854huwer

Reaction score
I am only on my 2nd batch and decided to try an American Light Ale. Being new, I made the transfer to the secondary fermenter after I thought the SP was at where it s/b(1 week), and the airlock had basically stopped. After 1 week in the secondary fermenter, the SP dropped more for an even high attenuation rate at slightly over 80%. The top of the beer in the carboy still has what looks to be CO2 bubbles and the airlock is capturing some residual CO2 gas.
Being new, I don't want to bottle, yet for fear of gushing bottles. Do I wait for the airlock to completely stop and the CO2 bubbles on top of the beer to disappear?
Thanks for your assistance.
Doug

Did u take any hydrometer readings try taking one every few days and if it's the same for 3 days then it's done just make shore everything is sanitized properly happy brewin

I took one on Fri and Saturday and they were both at 1.008...

Wait one more day and check with the hydrometer again and if it is not changed then bottle.

Could be a change in the temp or just bumped the carboy or any number of things to release the CO2 out of your beer. Only fail safe way to tell is with the hydrometer.

Wait one more day and check with the hydrometer again and if it is not changed then bottle.

Could be a change in the temp or just bumped the carboy or any number of things to release the CO2 out of your beer. Only fail safe way to tell is with the hydrometer.

+1. Hydrometer is the only way to tell. Probably just CO2 offgassing, but make sure hydrometer readings are stable to be sure.

Back