Out Date LME Coopers Real Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosBrewing

Reaction score
I bought a can of Coopers Real Ale and started it yesterday with 1.5lbs of Muntons Plain DME and 1lb of corn sugar. I did not know it was past the Best By date till after I had the can half open. I went ahead and finished putting the kit together, also I used the dry yeast it came with. It took off in about 6 hours of the pitch and is going well with nice foam filling the bucket now. I think it will turn out fine, but was checking what everyone else thought about using an old can. The date was for 02/04/2011 on the can and the day of brew was 04/30/2011 so it is not to far past date. Next time I buy a can of LME I will look at the bottom of it first.

I am not to worried, but what do you guys think about drinking it is 2 weeks? I did a poor job at planing this brew and now I'm crunched for time. My wife graduation party is Friday the 13th. I am going keg it next Tuesday I think it should be carbed by Friday. If it sucks I just wont tell anyone I made beer, but if it is good I will have something to share with our guest other than just my wine.

Personally, I think a beer that you brewed yesterday (if it even finishes by the 13th), is going to be way too green to be served by the 13th, and I would begin to make other arrangements.

Latest posts

Back