your word and honor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
found a co2 tank on CL for $50 talked to the fellow on thursday about picking it up today, he said no prob see ya sat morn. call him this morning to confirm and he sends me an email saying that he'd sold it earlier this week. now if you tell someone you'll sell em something for a certain price by a certain day shouldn't you keep your word at least until the day is passed?

thnx for letting me rant this pissed me offf today,,erik

From what I've read, that happens fairly often. If I want something off craigslist, I'll go pick it up then and there if I expect to get it.

As a seller, I never promise things to people, and merely tell them that if it's still available when they're ready to get it, they can have it, but I won't hold onto it for them. I do this because I've been burned by people on craigslist many times, expecting them to pick something up(and turn other people down) only to have them not show up.

I have been there, done that. It sucks, I know, but if you find a steal on craigslist, you need to get over there ASAP and pick it up.

eriktlupus said:
found a co2 tank on CL for $50 talked to the fellow on thursday about picking it up today, he said no prob see ya sat morn. call him this morning to confirm and he sends me an email saying that he'd sold it earlier this week. now if you tell someone you'll sell em something for a certain price by a certain day shouldn't you keep your word at least until the day is passed?

thnx for letting me rant this pissed me offf today,,erik

Damn Erik that is some serious bull ****.

You know, I've promised people I would hold onto something until they day we arranged only to have them not show up and disappear or find a better deal. In the mean time I turned down 4 buyers . So now it is First Come First Serve but I am very up front about it.

When I buy Kijiji stuff, I assume it's going to be sold to the first guy at the door with cash. It's a little cold, but it doesn't bother me. If I really want it, I go get it immediately.

Virtuous said:
You know, I've promised people I would hold onto something until they day we arranged only to have them not show up and disappear or find a better deal. In the mean time I turned down 4 buyers . So now it is First Come First Serve but I am very up front about it.

I have had too many craigslist d-bags not show up when they said they would that I would never promise to hold something.

My favorite move so far has been the guy that showed up with less money than the listed price as his nego tactic.

I sold an imac in the classified of the local newspaper once years ago. I had it listed for $350. One bloke ssaid he would take it and was on his way over to pick it up. Another caller rang and I told him it was sold. He offered me $20 more than I was asking, if I would tell the other guy it was sold and let him buy it. I said "Absolutely not! I made a deal and I will stick to it. Give me your number and if he doesn't show up at 2:00 like he said he would, you can buy it.. and keep the extra $20." First guy showed up on time and I told him what had happened. He offered to give me the $20 extra, but I told him to keep it.. a deal is a deal. Sounds like this guy shafted you, but like everyone else is saying... if you find a deal.. go get it IMMEDIATELY, and let the seller know you are on your way.

PeteOz77 said:
I sold an imac in the classified of the local newspaper once years ago. I had it listed for $350. One bloke ssaid he would take it and was on his way over to pick it up. Another caller rang and I told him it was sold. He offered me $20 more than I was asking, if I would tell the other guy it was sold and let him buy it. I said "Absolutely not! I made a deal and I will stick to it. Give me your number and if he doesn't show up at 2:00 like he said he would, you can buy it.. and keep the extra $20." First guy showed up on time and I told him what had happened. He offered to give me the $20 extra, but I told him to keep it.. a deal is a deal. Sounds like this guy shafted you, but like everyone else is saying... if you find a deal.. go get it IMMEDIATELY, and let the seller know you are on your way.

I agree a deal is a deal!

from what I have heard there a lot flakes on craigslist.

Ive had this happen to me more than once. My new policy is not to drive too far for a CL deal for fear of it happening again.

Back