If you couldn't.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagrar

Reaction score
If you couldn't drink HB what would your everyday beer be?

I know that's a bad thought.

Sierra Nevada pale ale for me.

dagrar said:

hhhmmmm.....scary thought!:eek:

probably something along the lines of Saint Arnold's Elissa IPA. local, fresher, and quite tasty!:drunk:

dagrar said:

Thats a scary question!

But, I couldnt be bound to only one beer. Sierra Nevada would be a brand I would choose from, as well as Bear Republic and Samuel Adams.

Pelican's Doryman's Dark Ale. It's classified as a Brown, but it's somewhere between a brown and a porter.

Cheyco said:
If I had to pick one beer to rule them all it would have to be Bittburger. It's just too good.
mmmm.... bitttttburgggeerrrrrrrr.....
i'd drink franzi... and since i just had my first homebrew last night, i HAVE been drinking franzi all the time. hefeweizen is just too good. its on deck for my next HB.

and if i'm on a budget (which is most of the time being a college student), it'd be PBR.

dagrar said:

:eek::eek::eek:
Rogue's Dead Guy Ale for me. But it's a bit$h to get where I'm at. Have to order it a case or two at a time and it takes weeks and weeks to come in.

Tough question! If i had to narrow to just one i'd say Theakston's Old Peculier
(I've avoided Old Tom at 8.5ABV - It is supposed to be an everyday drink!:drunk: )

What a tough question. Mine would have to be a Bell's of some sort, maybe the third coast ale or kalamazoo stout, both are delicious.

There is no doubt in my mind. My all time favorite commercial beer is
Moose Drool from The big sky Brewing Co in Montana. It is a brown ale that is not too hoppy with a smooth delicious malt profile. My first sip sent me to heaven. I have never tasted any beer better than Moose Drool. I always keep around a six pack.

I would probably go Shiner Bock for the most part because I like it and I can get it cheap enough to have some on hand all the time. Then I would vary with a number of other things I like, Newcastle, Taddy Porter, Pete's Wanderlust & Wicked Ale, Killian's Red, Fisher Amber Ale and others as I am in the mood or depending on the season.

Gales HSB, Harveys HSB, Fullers ESB, Draft Bass, and Pompey Royal. (Notice a pattern here?).
Of course, I would have to go back to England, because the American versions (where they exist) are nothing like as good as the real thing.

-a,

I second Caplan's call for another round of Old Peculier. That shtuff's shimply the besht.

Without the homebrews I would go with Pete's Wicked Ale or Sierrra Nevada.

On the lager side I must say I love Pilsner Urquelle. I can't wait to try a clone of that and use a ton of Saaz hops

My everyday beer would be a Sprecher Special Amber. I would have to buy a keg of it though because it tastes more than twice as good out of a keg than out of the bottle. And if I had to do bottles I would go for a lakefront Organic ESB.

Cheyco said:
If I had to pick one beer to rule them all it would have to be Bittburger. It's just too good.

Are you sure about this?

I'm a fan of German pilsners and other beer styles myself but always regarded Bittburger as the Bud of Germany (at least with regards to the marketing presence this seems to be true)

What commercial beer would I drink? Well, this is easy, I just have to look back at the non HB times:

1. SNPA
2. Harpoon IPA

Not so much German beers because they seem to taste different here than over in Germany. Must be the long shipping.

Kai

Beck's Dark for me. Haven't seen anyone say Coors Light or Bud. No surprise.

Cant decide..Either Badgers Fursty Ferret,Youngs Champion 'live' beer(bottle conditioned) or Marstons Old Empire IPA

thats right i said it, being this is a hypothetical situation, im assuming you could only drink one type of beer for eternity, so iwent with the most neutral, clean tasting beer that you would never get sick of. (i never tire of drinking water, nor will i ever)

my first choice was Chimay, but eventually, your palate might be so attuned to drinking it, that every off flavor will be magnified, and eventually it would become undrinkable...(i realize that certain monks only drink one type of beer)

Am I limited to one choice only? If not here they are in order:

1. Boulevard Wheat
2. Sam Adam's Oktoberfest (fell in love with that one last year)
3. Fat Tire

Big Rocks: McNalleys Irish Red (Alberta)
Lighthouse: Beacon IPA (Victoria, BC)
Vancouver Island: Scottish Cream Ale (Victoria, BC)

Used to like Shaftsbury's Cream Ale, but they were bought out by a big company and while still good, their beers just don't seem to taste as good any more, less craft more about consistency now. :(

Corona light with some nice lime. Only kidding! Red Stripe or Dead Guy Ale. Love the painted 22oz bottles too.

I'd probably have to go with Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. It would be a tough decision detween it, Stone IPA, and Hop Rod Rye, though.

Sam75 said:
I'd probably have to go with Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. It would be a tough decision detween it, Stone IPA, and Hop Rod Rye, though.

Yeah, when I posted my choice for HRR, I definitely weighed it against SNCA. HRR is just such a great beer, IMHO. Just about perfect.

I like SNCA cause it is seasonal, that will keep it a novelty for me. I'll look forward to it every winter. If I had it year round I'd probably tire of it. don't know though.

Dude said:
Yeah, when I posted my choice for HRR, I definitely weighed it against SNCA. HRR is just such a great beer, IMHO. Just about perfect.

I like SNCA cause it is seasonal, that will keep it a novelty for me. I'll look forward to it every winter. If I had it year round I'd probably tire of it. don't know though.

Yeah, but I think SNCA is kinda money.

Back