Sediment after Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afoster

Reaction score
I let me beer ferment for a week and then I transfer it into a secondary for about a week. I transfer my beer to my bottling bucket and add my priming sugar for carbonation. After sitting in the bottle for 3 months I end up with lots of sediment or trub at the bottom of my bottles. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening. The beer taste great, I just have to pour it into a glass to keep the trub from mixing with the beer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andy

Heres a link to a device that captures the yeast cake/trub developed during bottle conditioning. Have not tried these myself, but the theory is sound.

Now, sit back, grab a cold beer, and enjoy watching Craig of Craigtube fame explain how these contraptions work...second thought, it's Craig.......better make that two beers! :cross:

http://sedexbrewing.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Also once the yeast is in your gut good chance it will make you unpleasant to be around :eek:

Letting your beer ferment for a week should get you lots of sediment. For your next brew you should try leaving it in the fermenter longer. The beer that I let stay in the fermenter for 9 weeks has such a small amount of sediment that it is hard to see it. I'd suggest you give your next batch 3 weeks in the fermenter and see if you notice the difference in sediment and taste.

Your beer may well be finished fermenting after two weeks but it sounds like it needs a little more time clearing up.

My beers (all dark ales with OG's 150-160) stay in the fermenter for about 3 weeks. Usually they are done fermenting in less than one week but untill they clear up and are near bright they don't get near a bottle. I don't mind a little cloud in my beer but I don't like rehashing the life cycle of yeast to everyone that has a beer at my house.

Most of the time the only sediment is from the priming sugar. After a month conditioning it is hard to see and stays firm to the bottle bottom allowing a full 12 ounce pour.

bosco

ps, I do not use a secondary.

I typically give my bottles a good 5-7 "swirls" before cracking them open. This seems to eliminate all that gross sediment at the bottom.

I typically give my bottles a good 5-7 "swirls" before cracking them open. This seems to eliminate all that gross sediment at the bottom.

Your putting all the settled yeast back into suspension if you do that. Some people do that on purpose because they like it. Most pour the clear beer into a glass and leave the gunk behind.

No because my beer is still pretty clear. I think what is happening is that the "swirling" is actually breaking up the sediment into smaller, harmless pieces.

The trub at the bottom Isn't from the priming sugar that's dissolved into water,mixed woth the fermented beer,& consumed by the yeast in the bottle. It's the yeast that settles out to the bottom of the bottle.
Having said that,I let my beer stay in primary till FG is reached. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Only a dusting of trub at that point.

No because my beer is still pretty clear. I think what is happening is that the "swirling" is actually breaking up the sediment into smaller, harmless pieces.

Swirling is not breaking anything you are just mixing setteled sediment. If this is a heffe i will understand. If you like yeast flavours ok whatever rocks your boat. But myself I don´t find the sediment of a flocculating american yeast in an IPA for instance to be apealling. Next time instead of doing that try this: pour your beer nicely leaving the sediment behind, in a shot glass pour the sediment, give it a smell, nasty rigth? if you want to you can put that back in your beer if not well you´ve learn something

I also make sure to refrigerate my bottles for a few weeks after they prime at room temp for 2-3 weeks. I know its a long time to wait, but the sediment tends to gets a lot more compacted the longer it stays in the fridge. If I pour gently, the gunk just sticks to the bottom of the bottle. I'm not sure if the three months have been at room temp, if not, stick them in the fridge and leave them there if you can.

I think you misread my post. I said it is actually being broken up to different forms.

Break up in smaller sediments or not. I understand there is some people that like yeast taste and have problems with constipation and well yeast helps but I don´t think the advice it´s correct.

I think you misread my post. I said it is actually being broken up to different forms.

When solid particles settle out of a suspension all shaking the container does is put the particles back into suspension. In this case the particles are yeast. If you like yeast floating around in your beer (some do) then you're good to go.

If you cold crash your beer for around 24-48 hours before bottling day, you will notice a lot less yeast in the bottom of your bottle. Also as kblankenship11 said basically the longer you leave your carbed beer in the fridge undisturbed, the tighter and firmer the yeast get in the bottom of the bottle.

If you cold crash your beer for around 24-48 hours before bottling day, you will notice a lot less yeast in the bottom of your bottle. Also as kblankenship11 said basically the longer you leave your carbed beer in the fridge undisturbed, the tighter and firmer the yeast get in the bottom of the bottle.

This, also if you have chill haze problems a week in the fridge will help you with that.

I'm saying the yeast atoms get broken up so it's not yeast anymore after the "swirling"

atoms???? what are you talking about?
Yeast cells don´t disapear and they are not soluble, they just get back in suspension and you see them as a haze in your beer. There is yeast in there maybe you can´t see a slurry but you can see the haze and you can taste it

I'm saying the yeast atoms get broken up so it's not yeast anymore after the "swirling"

Not to start an argument or anything,but you did say the atoms get broken up & not yeast anymore. It's still yeast & swirling up puts it back into suspension where it can be tasted. Leaving it on the bottom of the bottle renders a cleaner tasting beer where you won't taste it anymore.
Why do I feel like I'm feeding the trolls again?...:D

Did I say they disappear? I said they get broken up. I sure can't taste them anymore.

Your are saying that there is no more yeast therefore the yeast disappear.

I´m just telling you that you are wrong. Maybe you want to listen or not. But this is a public forum and I´ll hate if someone gets the wrong idea reading your post.
I yet have to figure it out: I don´t know if you are trolling or just mistaken

Edit: unionrdr beat me

I see that using a secondary fermenter will help reduce the amount of sediment getting into your bottles..........true? Is there any other reason why to use a secondary?

You can get the same effect in primary with time. Many of us do it that way now. Especially if you pour the chilled wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer into the FV. Aerates all nicely & getts out grainy stuff,hops,etc. Less trub in primary at bottling time. Letting it clean up & settle out clear in there will give clear beer in the bottling bucket.

Back