Microbrewery keg filled with yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to kegging and this is my first time using my kegerator for any commercial keg. I bought it yesterday from mu local microbrewery. I set it in my kegerator to cool and settle overnight and tapped it tonight. The first pint I pulled was foam, no big deal, the second was almost complete yeast. I continued to pore beers 2-7 and all seemed to be mostly filled with yeast. The beer started to clear towards 6 and 7 but there is only mild hop aroma and a wicked yeast smell. Its usually a great IPA with a strong hop aroma. What happened?! Did I get the last runnings from the fermentor? This can't be normal, right?!

Take a look at the pic

image-888716982.jpg

image-3210950729.jpg

Yeah, i agree you should show them the pictures, I would hope they send a free keg your way. Thats just not cool

I believe they call that HefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeHefeWeizen.

I boiled and sanitized water and a jar this morning! I'll post a picture of the yeast I harvested once it re-settles. I called the microbrewery and i'm going to return the keg this afternoon.

Make sure you get something for your trouble...your the one hauling it to and fro.

As expected they were extremely apologetic and had fair rationale for the keg mishap. They treated my gf and I to lunch with drinks and replaced the keg. On top of that, the brewmaster came out and shot the **** with me about home brew for about 30 minutes.

My negative feelings have been completely erased! Also I scored some of their yeast for my next ale (see image)!

image-3123180315.jpg

Glad it worked out.

I bet if you would have asked him for some yeast they would have pulled you as much as you wanted.

One of the local breweries near me offers yeast to home brewers.

Wow that's really sweet. Glad they more than made up for the error. Good business practice if you ask me.

When I toured Franconia, they guy pitched a 30-barrel batch with a corny keg full of yeast. Maybe they got some kegs mixed up in your case...

Back