Brett / IBU limit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
I will be brewing up a batch of saison soon. It will be a ten gallon batch, and half i plan to funk with Orval dregs. Right now the recipe is for a 35 IBU beer. Is that too much for good Brett performance?

I keep reading how Brett does not do well in high IBU environments, but how high is too much? Would i be better off to shave 5-10 IBUs off?

brett does fine in a high IBU beer, lacto does not

some people may not prefer lots of IBU's with brett, but others like myself like things like brett IPA's

As soon as I get cool enough temps in my house again, I'll start up an IIPA that will secondary with Brett. I anticipate the IBUs and dry hopping will dominate when it's young. As it ages, the Brett will show more and eventually dominate.

I'm about a year early on this one, but how do you go about priming Brett beers? Do you need to reyeast, or is there still suspended Brett after 12-18 months?

There is enough after 12 months (I know from experience) but you have to wait a long time. About the time I was ready to give up and put a couple grains of dry yeast in each bottle, it had finally carbed.

Back