thoughts and suggestions for my next few batches of cyser and mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
hello all, here is my dilemma...I have some juice, and some honey and some yeasts to work with...just wondering what yeasts I should use for which recipe.

my list:

24 x 1.05 L of Allan's 100% pure apple juice (cans)
24 x 1 L of Allan's 100% pure apple juice(tetra boxes)

1.5kgs local golden honey
3kgs of Kirkland honey

3lbs of blueberry honey

Yeast:
1 Danstar Windsor Ale
2 Nottingham Ale
2 Safale S-04
Lavalin KV-1116
Lavalin EC-1118

I have 1G, 5G & 6G carboys to work with.

now I want to make a cyser or two, cuz I love honey and apple cider/juice :mug:

so I might make 2 batches of cyser (5 or 6Gs), using all the apple juice in two batches. one with the local honey and one with 3 lbs of the Kirkland honey, saving the rest for later on.

make a 1 G simple mead with the blueberry honey.

I just don't know which yeasts I should use with each batch. I know I don't want to use the EC-1118 with my cyser's as when I made my apfelwien it striped out almost all of the apple flavors :( ... and then I ended up having to dump it all anyways, as I tried to age/store it in my bucket and it got infected or contaminated :(:( .

thanks for any tips or suggestions.

If you have a lot of patience for aging, try the EC1118 again, age in glass.

Notty and S-04 would give nice flavours with the honey too, I haven't personally used the others. I have a 6 gallon batch of Apple Mango Banana using Notty with dark brown sugar thats aging at the moment - 2 months in, can't really update you on taste just yet!

I also have an apple with brown sugar thats been bottled for 3 months which I'll be trying in the next week or two. That one used EC1118, had some honey-esque flavours early on at bottling time so hopefully they come through more with the age.

Both these brews were higher FG's in the 1085 vicinity.

Fossey said:
If you have a lot of patience for aging, try the EC1118 again, age in glass.

Notty and S-04 would give nice flavours with the honey too, I haven't personally used the others. I have a 6 gallon batch of Apple Mango Banana using Notty with dark brown sugar thats aging at the moment - 2 months in, can't really update you on taste just yet!

I also have an apple with brown sugar thats been bottled for 3 months which I'll be trying in the next week or two. That one used EC1118, had some honey-esque flavours early on at bottling time so hopefully they come through more with the age.

Both these brews were higher FG's in the 1085 vicinity.

I meant original gravity... OG...

Back