San Francisco Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melvin

Reaction score
Traded my Cry Havoc for the Sanfrancisco Lager yeast from White Labs. What can you tell me about it? Still having trouble trusting the guys at the brew shop on lager yeast. Thanks Guys.

Mel

I've used this yeast quite a few times and the label is pretty accurate. Good lager characteristics (clean/neutral), especially if you can keep fermentation temps in the low 60's. Hop flavors are somewhat subdued but the malt comes through beautifully. The yeast is pretty flocculant and will leave a clear beer with standard aging. Hope this helps. Happy brewing!

I've used this yeast a fair bit too. As the previous poster mentioned, it ferments out clean and malty at low ale temps, although it's not a perfect substitute for real lager yeasts/process. Wlp060 (Am. Ale blend) is another good choice for steam beers or cali lagers if you want something that ferments out clean and crisp, but lets the hops come through a bit more.

Ferment it at 62F the whole time. The resulting beer is a slightly fruity but very "authentic" tasting lager. Great for a speedy Oktoberfest, and I've had success with it twice for quicker-turn-around light American lagers for family.

I've used it in IPA's before. It's been years since I've done that recipe, but it was good. Ferm temp was low 70's

bigbeergeek said:
Ferment it at 62F the whole time. The resulting beer is a slightly fruity but very "authentic" tasting lager. Great for a speedy Oktoberfest, and I've had success with it twice for quicker-turn-around light American lagers for family.

I also tried this yesterday for a quick Oktoberfest. what was your fermentation schedule?

Had Oktoberfest in primary at about 58-60*F for 7 days now. Still good amount of krausen. should I let her go until the krausen subsides completely before racking to secondary?

I love this yeast. Also just finished an Oktoberfest. Fermented at 58 for 5 days and then ramped up to 68 for another 7 days. Crashed for 7 days and bottled. Great malty beer and few esters. I messed up the recipe a bit and used too many hops, so I am a bit out of style.

I am planning to use this yeast to try a Carlsberg knockoff... what is too cold for SF Lager? What is ideal? I have a temp controlled fridge now, so I think I can maintain the needed temp so long s its not too low.

The called for yeast is a Danish Lager yeast.

The recipe is here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/carlsberg-recipe-208040/

Im sure that the taste will be diferent... any predictions?

I am planning to use this yeast to try a Carlsberg knockoff... what is too cold for SF Lager? What is ideal? I have a temp controlled fridge now, so I think I can maintain the needed temp so long s its not too low.

The recipe is here:

I think ideal is upper 50s to low 60s.
I did an Oktoberfest with it at 50 just to see if I could.
It came out good, but it took 2 weeks to fully ferment :D

I'm currently fermenting a classic American pils at about 56-58. I'll probably keep it there for another day then ramp up to the low 60s.

This is my first time fermenting this low, but it seems from what I've read that it will be fine.

The recipe is here:

I have used sf lager yeast in a few lagers. I did a helles with it and fermented it 50 for 12 days then I raise the temp to 65 for another 3 days. After that I lagered it for a month or so. It came out great a real hit. Am planing a honey lager with also!!

Back