Cold crashing&bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulBrew

Reaction score
If I cold crash my beer before I bottle, will that leave enough yeast to Carb my beer when bottled? Or is cold crashing mostly for kegging?

I've done what you are describing many times and never had a problem carbing in the bottle. Just be sure to leave the bottles at room temp for 3 weeks and then refridgerate for a couple of days and you'll be fine.

Thanks everyone.... another question I dry hopped in my carboy with whole hops. Should I transfer to my bottling bucket put a lid on it then cold crash for a few days? Or just cold crash my carboy?

ForumRunner_20120129_120926.jpg

I was thinking about this... What are the advantages of cold crashing? I usually just let me beer sit for a month, then rack to a bottling bucket and bottle away.

Cold crash will help yeast fall out of suspension.

It'll also cause haze causing proteins to come out of solution so you can fine the little buggers away.

Yeah, I have zero problems with clarity. Most beers turn out crystal clear (obviously semi-dependent on the strain of yeast). I just thought I was missing something. Thanks!

According to my brew calculator I should use 4.68 oz of corn sugar before bottling for the desired Carb I want for my apa...does that sound about right for 4.5 gallons?

Depends on how many volumes you're shooting for and roughly what temperature the beer has fermented at / been stored at; temp of liquid determines how much CO2 it can maintain in it (and other gases).

Use an online calculator to start with, then adapt to fit your circumstances (ie. if you're shooting for 2.5vol and find it fizzy as champagne, then you need to shoot lower). Unless you've got a CO2 meter of course :p

Back