Oatmeal Stout Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucepepper

Reaction score
I am very limited to what ingredients I can get, but have come up with the following to try and make an oatmeal stout. (I really like St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout)

Pale LME - probably going to use 6-8lbs. Any advice?

Crystal Malt (?Lovibond) - going to use 1lb. (I have 3lbs)

Choc. Malt - going to use .5lb (I have 1lb)

Roasted Malt - going to use .5lb (I have 1lb)

I am unsure which hops to use. I have....

6oz Cascade
2oz Fuggles
2oz Perl
2oz Cluster

I will be using Nottinham yeast.

Please let me know what would be a good recipe. Thanks in advance for your help.

brucepepper said:
I am very limited to what ingredients I can get, but have come up with the following to try and make an oatmeal stout. (I really like St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout)

Pale LME - probably going to use 6-8lbs. Any advice?

Crystal Malt (?Lovibond) - going to use 1lb. (I have 3lbs)

Choc. Malt - going to use .5lb (I have 1lb)

Roasted Malt - going to use .5lb (I have 1lb)

I am unsure which hops to use. I have....

6oz Cascade
2oz Fuggles
2oz Perl
2oz Cluster

I will be using Nottinham yeast.

Please let me know what would be a good recipe. Thanks in advance for your help.

Don't forget the flaked oats. My vote would be to use the fuggles last (for flavor/aroma) and keep the cascade out altogether.

Well, I'm planning on doing one this weekend, in part because it's a style where I can use up some leftovers. I'm planning on:

One pound flaked oats
Half pound choc malt
Half pound roasted barley - maybe 3/4 pound, there's a lot of sweetness elsewhere in the recipe
Quarter pound Special B (~150L, IIRC)
Total of about 1# crystal malt, various Lovibonds (again, using some stuff up; I know I have some 60L, I think some 20L as well)
Half pound cara-pils
One or two pounds Munich

Shooting for OG ~ 1055 or so, and I know it'll end up pretty full and sweet in the end. It's a beer I'm hoping the wife likes a lot. The recipe itself is a mess, it's basically a "clean out the grain bins!" batch. Haven't decided on hops; I've got some EKG, or I might used something clean (maybe Magnum), it'll only be a bittering addition anyway.

Do you know the hop alpha ratings?
What fermentation temps are likely?
What are you using for water?

Don't know alpha's, fermentation temps are about 65-70.

I'm not sure what you need to know about the water. I'm using about 16 liters in the boil.

I made this from the BYO site and was very happy with it. It looks like you have most of everything you'll need:

Quaker's Stout
by Kevin Norman

5 gallons, extract/specialty grains

"Full-bodied is an understatement for this dark stout. It is downright chewy. The oatmeal provides the unfermentable starches and beta-glucan gums that give this beer its remarkable mouthfeel, while the use of specialty grains gives it a distinctive roasted quality. Perfect for those winter evenings in front of the fireplace."

Ingredients:

6 lbs. Alexander's amber malt syrup
2 lbs. Munton's dark dry malt extract
0.75 lb. English crystal malt, 70° to 80° Lovibond
0.5 lb. chocolate malt
0.25 lb. black patent malt
0.5 lb. roasted barley
1 lb. rolled oats
1/2 stick of brewer's licorice
1 oz. Chinook hops (13% alpha acid), for 60 min.
2 oz. Willamette hops (5% alpha acid), 1 oz. for 60 min., 1 oz. for 3 min.
Edme dry ale yeast or Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale)

Step by Step:

Place specialty grains in strainer bag. Place rolled oats in separate strainer bag. Add to 2.5 gals. water in brewing kettle. At boil remove specialty grains but continue to boil rolled oats for about 10 minutes. Remove bag of rolled oats. Add malt extracts, brewer's licorice, and Chinook and 1 oz. of Willamette hops to the boiling water. Boil and stir for 60 minutes. During the last three minutes of the boil, add remaining Willamette hops. Prime with corn sugar.

OG = 1.070 to 1.075
FG = 1.018 to 1.022

brucepepper said:
Don't know alpha's, fermentation temps are about 65-70.

I'm not sure what you need to know about the water. I'm using about 16 liters in the boil.

If your water source is hard (or if there are by chance minerals in your DME) you may want to err on the side of using soft bottled water to get the right mouthfeel.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I have a good idea of what to do now but I do have two more quick questions.

1 - Will '1oz of cluster hops 60 minutes' and '1oz of fuggles 3 minutes' work?

2- I only have Quaker "Quick" oats. I've heard that they work but are not ideal. How do I use them? Can I steep them with the grains? (I don't have a grain bag.)

Thanks again

brucepepper said:
2- I only have Quaker "Quick" oats. I've heard that they work but are not ideal. How do I use them? Can I steep them with the grains? (I don't have a grain bag.)

Thanks again

No help with #1, but when I made mine, I put the oats in a grain bag and steeped in with the other grains and then removed the grains, but kept the oats in for 10 minutes of the boil. I got the idea from another recipe from BYO that said to do this.

My guess based on your ingredients and calculators:

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/gravity.html (SG calculator)
http://www.rooftopbrew.net/ibu.php (IBU calculator)

cluster are probably ~6%aa
fuggles are probably ~4%aa

If you use 6 lb of LME and 1 lb of oatmeal in a 16L (4.25g) boil, you'll get a boil
gravity of 1.068 and a topped-up 5 gallon batch gravity of 1.058 -- which is ideal.

In your 1.068 gravity boil, try:
1 oz of cluster 60min
1 oz of fuggles 30 min

Should yield a 30 IBUs (whole hops/plugs) to 37 IBUs (hop pellets) -- in range
for the style. Adjust to your taste for hoppiness in a stout.

Good luck!

wwest, you rock. I'm in the middle of brewing and I'm going to do exactly what you said. I really appreciate your help.

brucepepper said:

Thanks again
My understanding is that "Quick Oats" need to be cooked before mashing in order to gelentinize the starches. I am less sure about using them as a steeping grain. Instant Oats are equivalent to Flaked oats and can be used as is.
Craig

CBBaron said:
My understanding is that "Quick Oats" need to be cooked before mashing in order to gelentinize the starches. I am less sure about using them as a steeping grain. Instant Oats are equivalent to Flaked oats and can be used as is.
Craig

This is why keeping the oats in for a while of the actual boil will help at least a little. The only Oatmeal Stout I've done was a partial mash with some 2-row and other specialty grains to help conversion, but I think the boil will do some good.

CBBaron said:
Craig

Quaker Quick Oats don't need a cereal mash.

Brewing Clamper said:
This is why keeping the oats in for a while of the actual boil will help at least a little. The only Oatmeal Stout I've done was a partial mash with some 2-row and other specialty grains to help conversion, but I think the boil will do some good.

If they are quick oats, you can include them with the specialty grains and don't need to be boiled.

Well the brewing is done and I have to say it was a tough one. With the oatmeal in the grains I felt like a sparging animal. Eventually I stopped keeping track of how much sparging water I was using. This then brought my boil a lot higher than expected.(I had to split it into a second pot) Because of the 3.5-4 gallon boil my cooling method (tried the "ice method" for the first time) didn't work very well because I had planned on only needing to cool about 2.5-3 gallons and then adding cool water. Last time I checked my wort was a 95ish degrees and it has been almost 2 hours since flameout. Live and learn. I'm gonna go have a beer.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it.

A few days ago this problematic beer turned even wilder. I had my first primary overflow. Out the airlock and sides, quite a mess. I sanitized the lid, cleaned up the mess and switched to a blowoff tube.

Anyway... After racking to the secondary and tasting a small sample everything is going to be ok. It tastes like stout and the gravity is about 1009. I'm moving in two weeks and would like to have it in bottles so I'm not letting this beer sit for too long.

Thanks again everyone for the advice, wwest in particular.

Back