Adding Molasses to primary ferment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Quick question to you all...I brewed an English style barleywine and came across some very nice Molasses through a friend of mine...I was curious as to adding some to my ferment...Ive read and it makes total sense to me about adding in corn/cane/candy sugar a 2-3 days in to help attenuation but wasnt sure about doing this with molasses...If so, what would you say would be an appropriate amount? I have 1lb...Thanks again...

Molasses will help your beer dry out some, but it will also add a COMPLETELY different dimension to the beer than corn/cane/table sugar. It's got a lot more in it than simple sugars - that's what gives it all it's flavors and aromatics. I'm not sure if it'd be in place in a barleywine, and just because you have it doesn't mean you need to use it right away. Use it in a recipe for a style that you know it's appropriate in and you've already accounted for.

Molasses will take over the beer completely in surprisingly small amounts. I wouldn't add more than 8 oz and that won't make much difference in the dryness.

I use 8oz in a Taddy porter clone. However that's 8oz for 10GaL. It's definitley noticable. I add it at the beggining of the boil however. If you add it to the primary I suggest boiling with a bit of water and using no more than 4oz to "test the waters" of it's flavor.

Back