I just scored 3 carboys for free but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compressor

Reaction score
My dad used to make home made wine and had three 5 gallon carboys
laying around. I asked if I could have them and he said sure.
I went to get them and they are in good shape but need some
cleaning.
Especially the one with the dead mouse in it.

After a good cleaning/sanitation/disinfecting is there
any problem using these for beer?

Make an investment into a carboy brush..... for a cleaner I find that hot water and oxi-clean works wonders for cleaning old n' dirty carboys (well once you wrangle that mouse out).

ha, you'll probably imagine a funny taste in the first batch just thinking about that mouse...

Replace all of the O-rings and rod out the tubes. Stainless cleans up nicely, but the rings are probably shot.

NO bleach or bleach containing products should be used.

david_42 said:
Replace all of the O-rings and rod out the tubes. Stainless cleans up nicely, but the rings are probably shot.

NO bleach or bleach containing products should be used.

Think you may have misread. He got 3 carboys, not kegs.. :drunk: Easy on the beer mate! HEHE, just messin with ya!

Back on the topic at hand if they are glass carboys be very careful using hot water to clean them as the temperature change could cause the carboys to crack and shatter in your hands possibly causing incisions that may lead to a loss of blood. Never happened to me, but have heard of a few horror stories.

Back