co2 pressure in stored kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
I have kegged a few times, so I know a little. I recently bought 8 more ball lock kegs. I tore them down and gave them an oxyclean bath for 24 hours. I reassembled and gave them a shot of starsan before putting the lids on. I am curious how much c02 pressure to put on them and if I should bleed the air out. Is this a waste of c02 or a good idea? When I keg next time they should be ready to go without any other prep work right?

Never hurts to check for leakage this way; I'd still do a quick rinse with some starsan before use, if you dry it out (starsan and other no rinse sanitizers sanitize when wet; dry them out they are technically no longer sanitized). I always pressure test mine before beer hits it, just to be safe (plus I ferment in keg and jumper/bleed).

Never hurts to check for leakage this way; I'd still do a quick rinse with some starsan before use, if you dry it out (starsan and other no rinse sanitizers sanitize when wet; dry them out they are technically no longer sanitized). I always pressure test mine before beer hits it, just to be safe (plus I ferment in keg and jumper/bleed).

Why would they no longer be sanitized if they are dried, especially air/drip dried? The acidic solution sanitizes and coats the inside of the keg. No where in it's tech sheets does it say it is no longer sanitized.

Then, if you pump CO2 into it making it an anaerobic environment, I would say that should remain sanitized.

I'll put 5-10 psi on a stored keg & always re-sanitize before using. Can't see taking a chance, however small.

Back