Oatey Stout Recipe. Check it out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
Hey guys I just formulated my first oatmeal stout recipe and am getting pretty excited about the whole thing. I wanted to get some honest opinions about the recipe so check it out! What would you do different and why? Does the marris otter work here? I wanted to add a little more body/ complexity to the beer, and thought that this would be a good opportunity to try it out. Let me know what ya think. Thanks! :mug:

Oatmeal Stout - Oatmeal Stout
================================================================================
Batch Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Size: 7.500 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.016
ABV: 5.5%%
Bitterness: 29.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 40 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 4.500 lb Yes No 78%% 3 L
Chocolate Malt (UK) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 73%% 450 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 72%% 120 L
Roasted Barley Grain 6.500 oz Yes No 55%% 300 L
Oats, Flaked Grain 1.200 lb Yes No 80%% 1 L
Black (Patent) Malt Grain 6.500 oz Yes No 55%% 500 L
Caravienne Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74%% 22 L
Simpsons - Maris Otter Grain 5.500 lb Yes No 81%% 3 L
Total grain: 14.012 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Fuggles 4.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.1
Target 10.5%% 0.900 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 26.2

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Whirlfloc Fining Boil 0.000 tsp 10.000 min

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Irish Ale Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Also I was thinking of adding coffee to the recipe. Does that sound like too much?

i would switch the choco malt and caramel 120, i think 1lb is too much of 120, but i love chocolate malt, so id do 1lb chocolate malt and 8oz cara 120. because the 120 is so sweet already id ditch the caravienne.

also, yes my vote is to add coffee. cold steeped 24 hours and added at bottling time. You could also add cocoa nibs (4-8oz) after fermentation for some more chocolate hints (only b/c i love coffee chocolate stouts!!!)

Sounds good. Does caravienne add to head retention? Good idea switching the chocolate and 120. I'm also going to add the cold brewed coffee to the keg. I'm pretty excited to play around with it. Thanks for the input!

I think the amount of black patent, roast, and chocolate is overkill but then again I don't really like my oatmeal stout super roasty. But, I would drop the black patent and follow the advice about the C-120 above.

If adding coffee do the cold press

So i tweaked the recipe a little bit went down on the C120 and dropped the Patent. Also upped the chocolate and base malts as well as both hop additions. Also, I raised the mash temp to 158 to get a bit more body. Think that is a little much? I typically mash around 152 but thought this style might need a bit more body. Check it out. let me know what ya think.

Oatmeal Stout - Oatmeal Stout
Batch Size: 5.946 gal
Boil Size: 7.446 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 73%%
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.0%%
Bitterness: 34.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 38 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 5.000 lb Yes No 78%% 3 L
Chocolate Malt (UK) Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 73%% 450 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72%% 120 L
Roasted Barley Grain 6.000 oz Yes No 55%% 300 L
Oats, Flaked Grain 1.400 lb Yes No 80%% 1 L
Simpsons - Maris Otter Grain 6.000 lb Yes No 81%% 3 L
Total grain: 14.275 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Fuggles 4.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 6.0
Target 10.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 28.1

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Irish Ale Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Sacch Rest Infusion 4.609 gal 170.714 F 158.000 F 60.000 min
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 4.693 gal 178.445 F 165.200 F 15.000 min

looks good, but im on the other side of the black patent argument. It is a stout, and you need to get some roast in there. I dont think 6oz of roasted barley is enough for gal. I liked the 6 of black patent in there, they are completely different flavors and the combo will add complexity.

my stout (just cracked it open last night and its just what I was looking for) had the equivalent of 1/2 lb each roasted barley and black patent in 6 gal. it gives it a nice roast and slight astringency.

One other note, i targeted 30IBUS (just like yours basically) and i wouldnt go more, remember if you add coffee it will add slightly more bitterness.

but anyways, the recipe looks good to me either way on the black patent

looks good, but im on the other side of the black patent argument. It is a stout, and you need to get some roast in there. I dont think 6oz of roasted barley is enough for gal. I liked the 6 of black patent in there, they are completely different flavors and the combo will add complexity.

Yeah, like I said it's kind of a preference thing and for my oatmeal stouts I like them a bit less stouty that a normal stout if that makes sense. You could work it either way.

definitely makes sense. Some like it roasty some not as much (maybe more porter like?). it all depends on what the OP is looking for!

I just kegged a stout - it came out too "smooth" and not roasty enough for my tastes when I sampled it so I added 4oz (ground beans) french roast cold brewed in 16oz water and then filtered and added it at kegging - I think it came out just about perfect. The coffee added enough roast for the bite I was looking for, not overly coffee-ish, still smooth. It's got another week or two to condition but I'm already loving it and plan on brewing it again just the same. Our grain bills were pretty similar:

14# 2-row
1# flaked oats
.5# Dark Chocolate Malt
.5# Pale Chocolate Malt
.75# Roasted
.5# Crystal 75
.5# Crystal 120

I brewed this same recipe again last weekend but with 1.5# roasted barley to give it that bite i'm looking for, and will be adding 4oz cocoa nibs after fermentation is done.

As far as coffee goes - I was reading everywhere about how much to add and it was all over the place. I err'd on the lower side of the spectrum...you can always add more (if kegging), but never take it out. 4oz was spot on for me.

Great thanks for all the input guys. Might throw some black patent back in and up the roasted barley since I'm looking for a robust roasty stout.

Back