I'm such a N00B, I think I infected my batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM3MD157

Reaction score
So I got to the last step where I needed to add the yeast in for my IPA. I had a small piece of paper towel that was soaked in Star San that was covering the hole in the lid. Well when I went to flip the lid over, the soaked towel dropped in the bucket and I panicked. I quickly took the spray bottle and sprayed my hand and arm, then reached in to get the paper towel. I ended up going down to the bottom (it ended up being buried in the foam on top, grrr). I think a part of my arm that was submerged in the wort may not have been hit with Star San. Needless to say I am expecting this to be infected. Really really frustrated considering this is my first batch :( I am using my bottling bucket as my primary, then using a glass carboy for my secondary.

How can I tell if it is infected? I am sure it is. I am such a freaking n00b. :(

No way to tell yet. Just let it go and see what you get. Don't let it worry you too much. If worse comes to worse your second batch will be even better. Most of the times we learn the most from our biggest mistakes/accidents.

Check out the sticky on the beginner thread about thinking you ruined your beer. Until it gets nasty of starts growing something funky, don't stress it. And even if it grows something funky, you may end up with an unintentional sour.

Edit: I see others beat me to it

Just because you think your beer is ruined certainly doesn't mean that it is. Never dump a beer unless it's absolutely hopeless, even if it is infected.

I would just let it go! Pitch the yeast and see how it turns out. Unless you've got some festering wound on your arm, I'm pretty sure it will be fine! :cross:

Thank folks! Just a disappointment since it is my first real brew (I have a Mr. Beer for the past year as well). I was all excited about it, then I screwed up.

I have been reading this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...eer-still-turned-out-great-96780/index18.html which gives me some glimmer of hope.

If I sample it in a week when I go to transfer to my secondary, would it taste bad if it were infected? Or would it take more time for it to fester while in the secondary to make it taste/smell bad?

Also, I read that if you get an infected batch, you should throw away anything plastic that touched it? (e.g. bottling bucket)

Relax, you're fine. Unless you're one of those people who only bathe once a week and your arm was really dirty...
I strive to properly sanitize everything, but when I make a mistake I think to myself, "How did home brewers sanitize EVERYTHING 100 years ago?" That usually makes me feel better. Read through the "Show me your infection" thread and know what to look for in a week.

I remember years ago knocking a pair of scissors (that I had soaked in idophor) into my primary (pre-carboy days) and without thinking reached in and grabbed them :eek: ..I was convinced the beer was going to be ruined but I let it ride....came out fine. As others have said - don't worry about it. Keep an eye on it and unless you see some nasties growing in it, you are probably fine!

Do you have mold growing on your arm or some festering wound? If not, your chances of infection are pretty low.

Im not saying we should be lazy in our sanitation practices because we shouldnt. We make a product people intend to ingest and should take strong precautions against bacteria but the reality is the chances of infection on any given batch are fairly slim.

Thanks again all. I guess I shouldn't let this stress me out. I am brewing Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA, when I contacted them to ask about primary fermentation the representative said to transfer it to the secondary in 1 week. Is that a good suggested time frame?

1 week seems fairly short to me, and the necessity of transferring to a secondary is debateable, but since you're a newbie brewer and following a kit I'd say follow their directions. Companies like NB and Midwest put time into their kits, and give you directions that ultimately end with a good beer.

It'll give you a nice introduction to brewing procedure, at least.

I wouldn't transfer to secondary at all, give it 3 weeks in primary and bottle. If you really want to secondary then as atreid says, wait 10 -11 days. You want primary fermentation done first.

The kit says 1-2 weeks for the primary fermentation, 2-4 weeks for secondary fermentation. Then it says to dry hop 1-2 weeks before bottling. I have it in the basement where the temps are ~65-66 degrees.

First batch I stuck my arm in the water for some reason, can't remember why, just remember the oh crap moment. No infection but I hope I don't do it again.

Back