Oxygenation System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paloaf

Reaction score
I've brewed 25-30 batches now without aerating my wort. I'd like to build an oxygenation system but have been a little lost. I'd like to use pure oxygen from a welding supply shop. What kind of flow meters or regulators are the best?

I know you need a low flow rate to get to 8 ppm so I've looked at the pediatric style flow meters. One is listed like this:

Increments: .125 lpm from .125 to 1 lpm
.25 lpm from 1 to 3 lpm

Accuracy: ±.15 lpm

max flow: 40 lpm

Will this be a good meter? If so, what other parts are needed to connect to an oxygen tank from a welding supply store?

If you have the oxy-acetylene set already, you can do what I did... just remove the hose connector from the oxy reg, and replace with a 3/16 hose barb. Run fish tank hose from the reg to the wand.
IMHO, you don't need the flow meter. Just adjust pressure you get a low steady flow of bubbles.
It only takes 30 seconds of bubbles.

In my humble opinion, O2 in wort is a bit of an art than a science. I think you could get away with a decent gauge (not the best). I was looking at one from harbor freight. Just because it will be better than what most people are successful with in the first place. It's really a simple function.

Back