Bought Great Lakes Hops for SE Penn.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelipen

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger this year. Meant to do it last year, but I knew I was going to be out of town a lot, so I didn't want them to die from neglect.
Got Fuggle and Centennial on order. I was going to see if anyone ever let them climb a chimney, then I saw this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/hoptober-269866/
I now have a goal. hehe.

I'm pretty sure the centennial will be fine. A bit more concerned about the fuggle, but seemed more tolerant than goldings for this climate.

Did the ordering method for Great Lake irritate anyone else? You have to grant Payvment access to your data. You have the option to remove some permission items, but if you remove them, you can't add anything to your cart. What a F-up that is. Then, the payment method is PayPal.. WTF, why can't I just pay with paypal instead of some stupid FB intermediate processor. Since when do I have to pay AND give up personal information to make a transaction. I did it, then as soon as it went through, I removed Payvment from sites with access. But, that will be the only order unless they get a real website, or I'll stick with rhizomes instead of crowns. End rant.

This is no slam against GL Hops, I hear great things which is why I ordered. it's FB & Payvment who suck.

Just did the same! SE Penn too. I ordered a Cascade, Centennial and Perle. I also was really annoyed by the FB ordering process. I actually just emailed them and had them send me an invoice via Paypal and skipped the whole FB thing.

Looking forward to seeing if I get anything this year... Maybe if your Fuggle works out and my Perle or Cascade works out, we can make a trade!

If you search great lake hops on ebay they also have a store there. It doesn't always have what they have on the FB store. I order some hop starts this year cant wait to get them to get them going .Email them is you have any question they answered fast.

Good to know they have other options. I'll keep that in mind if I get more.

Gavball6 - we'll see what year one does. Got my fingers crossed for something since I got crowns. Hope yours come out well.

I agree the Facebook page is a less than a perfect site BUT- 1. Facebook's selling app is less than a year old and is being updated continuously. 2. FB has a much broader reach than any website and is much more secure than any individual website. 3. it allows our customers to interact with us and each other more easily- gaining and trading information information in an open discussion is an important function that email just doesn't do well. 4. best of all - FB is nearly free to operate compared to a Website (and it can't be hacked).
I am hopeful that FB will work out a direct agreement with Paypal - but in the meantime the Pavment app is our only option. For those who find this too difficult, just email GLH requesting we invoice you directly through Paypal. Thanks for understanding :)

I agree the Facebook page is a less than a perfect site BUT- 1. Facebook's selling app is less than a year old and is being updated continuously. 2. FB has a much broader reach than any website and is much more secure than any individual website. 3. it allows our customers to interact with us and each other more easily- gaining and trading information information in an open discussion is an important function that email just doesn't do well. 4. best of all - FB is nearly free to operate compared to a Website (and it can't be hacked).
I am hopeful that FB will work out a direct agreement with Paypal - but in the meantime the Pavment app is our only option. For those who find this too difficult, just email GLH requesting we invoice you directly through Paypal. Thanks for understanding :)

I totally understand re: Facebook. I am a marketing guy and utilize FB professionally, but can't stand it personally and hate all of it's backdoor data collection (which is what really bothered me about the Payvment app). I have had a great experience with you (Great Lakes Hops) so far though and can't wait for my crowns to arrive!

Anyone thinking of using Great Lakes (through FB or directly) should do it!

Greatlakeshops said:

Hey, thanks for replying to this thread. As you can see, I didn't let it stop my order based on your reputation.
I do see the value of FB for interaction with clients, and making connections. And it is a great option for businesses.

What bothered me most was the forced opt-in strategy of Payvment. I think that is just going too far for transacting a payment... Which is not a reflection on your business model, to be sure.

And I still "liked" you on FB ;)
Appreciate your good customer service. A lost art. And can't wait for my crowns.

It is a tough decision on which way to go - FB or a stand alone website. I've seen way too many "secure transaction" websites get their info totally hacked. Me and my team figured FB is more secure, but added security comes with added scrutiny (maybe too much). In a virtual world where everyone uses a pseudonym, verifying true identity is tough - especially when real people's bank accounts are involved.:)
Nuf said -- We will be starting to ship Spring Pre-orders to the warmer states starting Monday, so get those planting sites prepped!

I purchased the custom six pack on 3/7 and am interested to see them when they come. I ordered rhizomes from another vendor last year and had no luck - they started out great in a pot by the window, but when I moved them outside they died in a couple of days. I am looking forward to getting actual living plants instead of a dirty root.

I am hoping to plant hops from them this year as well, but I am not going to use Facebook I am going to drive to their greenhouse and get them. Seems like much more fun! Can't wait for spring, got planting beds built last fall filled with nice black spoil. Just going to have trouble with the deer as I have been told deer love hops.

Just going to have trouble with the deer as I have been told deer love hops.

That is my concern as well...is there any good way to keep them out (short of lead poisoning...which is always an option)?

i love GLH and my FB order went without a problem! The best part is, after planting last fall I can see new growth coming through the pine needles! Spring is near.....

My hops came today. A day earlier than USPS tracking said. Now I'm frantically trying to get my raised beds in place. They look good and healthy. Two trash cans full of humus, two big bags of peat, some potting soil I had around the house, and some sand from a sand box I took out. Should do the trick.

I'm taking out a stretch of river rock to make room for planters. Kind of glad it's not going to be the 78F they forecasted.

Just going to have trouble with the deer as I have been told deer love hops.

That is my concern as well...is there any good way to keep them out (short of lead poisoning...which is always an option)?

That's strange. I have read that animals are not a problem. Except possibly with very young shoots. Bugs and fungus/diseases might be more of a problem. Again, from what I have read. I have never grown any. I am considering it though. I guess I will have to make up my mind relatively soon!

Back