Too Much Potassium Metabisulfite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Way too much. Won't kill the yeast ... just make it retarded.
Don't pitch.
Let the juice sit out in an open top bucket for 24 hours and stir the hell out of it 3 or 4 times. Then, when you add the yeast, rehydrate the yeast properly and use a big starter made of cider or apple juice with no sulfites or sorbates in it.

The sulfite will eventually off-gas. Stir it like a crazy person for the next two to three days with a sanitized spoon every chance you get. That will help the sulfite dissipate. Since you added about 6 times more than you should have, it might take a while to get rid of the excess sulfite. Stirring a lot will help.

I may be wrong, but I would go with no. At that point are you not replacing the sulphite with sulphuric acid? If you get the dosage wrong you will also end up with peroxide left over which doesn't sound healthy either. It will dissipate over time meaning that you have no idea how much is in there, just sounds risky to me, at least the extra sulphite you have currently aren't dangerous (unless you are allergic to it).

Hydrogen peroxide has a lot of readily available oxygen but that means it also is one heckuva oxidizer. Don't use hydrogen peroxide and don't cook it.
Just aerate it.

Yeast can deal with some sulfiting ... just not as much as you have in it now.
Aerate ... use a Saccharomyces wine yeast rehydrated properly and using a starter ... use nutrients in the must ... and that is your best bet.

I suppose you could double-down too and mix the current over-sulfited batch with another batch of similar size to cut the sulfites further, but you'd still need quite a bit of aeration.

After two days of stirring I've had fermentation begin in one of my buckets without repitching. :D

This bucket contained 6 gal unpasteurized apple cider, 3 lbs dextrose, 1 tsp potassium metabisulfite, and one swollen activator pack of Wyeast 4766 Cider yeast. I pitched the yeast only ten hours after dumping the potassium metabisulfite, so now I can personally attest to the hardiness of this yeast strain.

The other bucket contains 6 gal of cider, 1 tsp potassium metabisulfite, 2 lbs dextrose, and a packet of Montrachet yeast by Red Star. There are no signs of fermentation taking place. I'm fairly certain I'm going to have to make a strong starter and pitch that after another day or two of stirring. Any suggestions with this one?

Lastly, I've got 3.5 gallons of cider in a glass carboy with Wyeast sweet mead yeast and .5 tsp potassium metabisulfite. This one has not started, though I achieved success with the other Wyeast strain. I'll probably have to repitch this as well in a day or two.

Another followup: The 3.5 gallons with sweet mead yeast has started fermentation, though it is going rather slowly. Going to throw in some yeast nutrient and see if that does the trick.

As for the bucket with Montrachet, nothing yet. So I'm going to make a nice starter of Lalvin 1122 instead and throw that in with some yeast nutrient.

Wyeast activator packs are a really great product if you're absent minded ;)

All three batches are going and going strong now.

With the addition of Fermax Yeast Nutrient, the cider with sweet mead yeast took off, and so did the cider with wine yeast after I repitched.

Thank you all for your input.

Back