Induction cooktops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleggo

Reaction score
Hi all

Who else is using induction ranges as their primary brew kettle? I have a 5 gallon stainless kettle and can do a fairly quick and steady boil. The problem is I want to move up to a full boil. The last batch I collected almost 8 gallons of wort and did 2 - 90 minute boils, hop steeps, chills, etc. It was a long day.

My concern with moving up to a larger pot is twofold. Will I be able to achieve boil on 8 gallons and will the weight break the glass on the cooktop? What is the largest size pot other induction brewers have had success with?

I have a Kenmore Elite free standing range that is rated at 2,500 watts. No idea how to convert this to BTUs.

Somehow I'm sensing an outdoor propane setup in my imminent future. Not a bad thing but just having started a Keezer project it would take some convincing with SWMBO.

Anyone have experience or advice to share with induction brewing?

I dont boil on my stove, but I think your going to have a hard time bringing 8 gallons of wort to boil with a 2500 watt range, esp if people use 5500 watt elements IN their kettles...

Not enough poop, and your pot may not be compatible.

There is an industrial induction stove out there, but it requires a special pot. and it's $4k.

Thanks everyone. I have induction ready kettles now (just have to have a magnetic bottom) but they're not big enough. I'm guessing I won't have enough power sp looks like propane for me.

Induction cooking is very efficient. The problem is that most home units have an output designed for home cooking. As far as boiling liquids is concerned, 4-8 quarts of water for pasta is about it, not really gonna cut it for brewing. When I started brewing, I was doing extract batches indoors on our propane cooktop, and the highest output burners are only @7500 btu. Not that great for full boils, waiting for the wort to come to a boil was a lot of downtime. I got some automotive firewall insulation from JC Whitney (along with the foil tape for the outside and a heat-resistant glue to stick it to the pot), installed it, and the situation improved markedly. For the past two years, I've been doing AG boils outside in the garage on a propane burner, not looking back.

I can get 4 gallons boiling quickly but didn't gave a larger pot to test. All good info.

Back