Bats in my brewery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Country living has its pluses, but this morning when I went into the brewery, there was a small bat flying around. I opened one of the outside doors so it could get out, but it flew over to the hatch to the attic and crawled through a small hole in the board. Guess it's time for a new piece of drywall up there.

Beats a dead chipmunk in the wall insulation or a skunk in the pole barn.

i had a bat flying around my house 2 weeks ago.
stupid thing wouldn't fly out the sunroom door.just kept circling the room.
found their echo locating doesn't work on fishing nets-scooped him up and outside he went.
pissed off the cat who thought it was a new toy to chase!

I have a male bat living in my pole barn. I no more than killed the one I had last year and this one took it's place. Females flock, males are solo.

You know how easy it is to get somebody to help you cover an area 16x58 when you say 'hey, help me catch a bat that lives out in the barn?'

This part is not finished so the attic is open, and he flies in through the soffit, since with an overhang/lean to on that side, the soffit is open. Chicken wire proved too large of openings.

I'd take the pool skimmer pole to his ass, but I keep thinking another one is on deck when he's gone...:(

Mice (3 kinds), voles (2 kinds), wood rats, chipmunks, and now bats in the house. Did you know a full-grown wood rat can eat an entire box of warfarin mouse bait before it dies?

Send the bat to my place he can live in the barn with the others.

They are very good to have around, as they eat TONS of mosquitoes and other bugs every night. However, they can be a health hazard, so it's best to have them around outside the house.

Build a bat house, then evict.

Though, then you'll probably manage to get a whole flock - and who wants all their skeeters eaten for free?

They are very good to have around, as they eat TONS of mosquitoes and other bugs every night. However, they can be a health hazard, so it's best to have them around outside the house.

True.... except that mosquitoes are actually a very small portion of a bat's diet. They prefer larger prey, e.g. moths. Rabies and histoplasmosis are 2 human diseases associated with bats. There are other pathogens carried by bats or suspected as such, so when cleaning up an area of infestation, it's best to use wet cleaning methods (spray bottle of bleach solution) so you don't aerosolize and inhale their waste/dust.

It's best to get rid of them, but not kill them. They are protected species and good to have around... outside your house.

i built a bat house and noone moved in this year. Plenty! of food just no bats living in there:mad:

Back