Cooper's Bitter Stats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to get this into a beersmith recipe and I am unsure about the stats like AA units since it's hopped, as well as color.

I am curious if anyone has these for the 3.75# can of LME.

Extract manufacturers usually provide that info on their website:

Bitter

Deep golden-copper colour with a creamy white head. Overt fruit and malt aromas, a full bodied palate showing complex malt flavours, balanced with a bitter finish. May be served slightly warmer than lighter style beers.

Weight - 1.7kg, Colour - 420EBC, Bitterness - 620IBU

Extract manufacturers usually provide that info on their website:

Bitter

Deep golden-copper colour with a creamy white head. Overt fruit and malt aromas, a full bodied palate showing complex malt flavours, balanced with a bitter finish. May be served slightly warmer than lighter style beers.

Weight - 1.7kg, Colour - 420EBC, Bitterness - 620IBU

That's an awful lot of IBU.

Also from the website:

To calculate the bitterness of the brew: multiply the quoted product bitterness by the weight of the product (1.7kg)* and divide by the total brew volume (normally 23 litres).
* We use the weight because our quoted colour/bitterness figures are base on a weight/volume dilution.

Product Bitterness x 1.7 / Brew Volume = Total Bitterness before fermentation

As an example, if a brew is made with Mexican Cerveza up to a volume of 23 litres:

270 x 1.7 / 23 = 20 IBU (International Bitterness Units)
This figure represents the brew bitterness prior to fermentation. Generally, fermentation reduces colour and bitterness by between 10 to 30%. So final bitterness of the fermented brew may be anything from 14 to 18 IBU.

Okay I got it. Still seems high, I guess they don't plan on you buying any hops at all. Well, I guess the kit alone comes out to around 45 IBU so that sounds like a solid APA.

45 IBU is at the high end for a bitter, but if you discount it by 30%, you'll be dead-on. Shoot for 10-12 for the color.

Back