O Ring Dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KornyG

Reaction score
Hi All :rockin:

Just got a small (will hold the 23 litres and that's it) fermenter. Only noticed today just before I was about to put the brew in to start that it doesn't have a rubber O ring seal in the lid.

any thoughts on....
A. Where I could get one (live out of town, closest town doesn't have a great deal of resources)
B. Do I really need it (e.g. is there something I can dodgy up from around the house or will it just work fine without).

I realise it's probably best to have one for a better seal and hence better fermentation, thought I would ask the forum and see if anyone's had any experience with a fermenter without a rubber seal in the lid.

Cheers all
:mug:

Happy Brewing.

Are you talking about the outer rim of the lid? I have two bucket fermenters and one has one, the other doesn't. The one without seals just fine, the lid seats nice and snug. If you want to test it, just snap the lid on tight, put the airlock with liquid in it into the hole in the lid, and then press down with some pressure on the center of the lid. If the airlock bubbles, you have a seal. If not it leaks.

Back